fenomeno fenomeno
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/12/2011 19:19
Phosphate Absorber - what's best? #1
Hi there,

got a new marine tank on the go, seem to have a lot of algae growing in there and very quickly too.

i have some hermits and they seem to love munching it but i'd rather it wasn't there to start with as its almost carpeting the sand and really growing on the glass.

my water tests are showing that my phosphate level is high so i'm wondering what is the best option in terms of phosphate absorber??

i've search on the net and only found very little. advice would be greatly appreciated.
lr85ninety lr85ninety
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 22/12/2011 22:41
Re: Phosphate Absorber - what's best? #2
i now use reef scientific which im really happy with its good value doesnt take loads of running off like rowaphos and need very little flow in a reactor, it doesnt like to be knocked about unlike rowaphos so would be ideal in a bag in the sump but like all phosphate removers it works best in a fluidised reactor.

rowaphos and reef scientific are the only two i use but there are loads of diferent brands some of which people rate highly so i think its really personal choice,

Are you going to use a reactor? or just place the media in a bag in an area of high flow?
Original Image
fenomeno fenomeno
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/12/2011 22:49
Re: Phosphate Absorber - what's best? #3
to be honest, i'm not sure where i'd put it as i have a red sea max 130d, i could put it in a bag next to the carbon media which is below the pumps but i was also considering a fluid?

red sea produce

RED SEA NO3 - PO4 -

XNO3:PO4-X will prevent the growth of nuisance algae and promote coral coloration. N:P-X is a fully researched and tested biochemical product containing a mineral complex and special blend of carbon sources to ensure the long term stability of the treatment as well as inhibiting sulphate reducing bacteria.

any thoughts?