suilaire suilaire
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Harris
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/12/2011 15:07
Filter advice #1
Hi folks

Just looking for advice about a new filter for my 55 gallon planted Amazon set up, with mature fish (who have mature poos).

Have had an external fluval 305 - which really didn't work for me, hated it! And always had to run a fluval 4+ alongside.

Looking for one set up to replace both. Preferrably internal.

Any recommendations?

Cristina
Resized Image
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 5/12/2011 15:14
Re: Filter advice #2
Externals would be the best choice I think, more effective, less maintanence and gives more room in the tank.

Ther best external filters to go with would be an eheim I hear there second to none. If your on a budget I would suggest an allpondsolutions external great price, quite and effective also options to have a UV light in it
One who cannot love her smallest creations, cannot claim to stand before Nature - Takashi Amano

suilaire suilaire
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Harris
  • Posted on: 5/12/2011 15:31
Re: Filter advice #3
The issue I had with the externals was that I would flood the place and lose tank water perhaps one time in every three that I cleaned it out.

I don't want to go down that route again. Do fluval 305 have a reputation for that, or is it just me?!

I don't mind taking up space in the tank, and am not on a tight budget - really want to get the best filter for the job.

Anyone got any thoughts on internal vs external?

Cristina
Resized Image
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 5/12/2011 16:12
Re: Filter advice #4
Hi

Did the 305 have taps to turn the flow to and from the tank off? If not, the Eheims with the full tap connection kit will save you from the flooding issue and are very efficient and reliable

They have two pairs of taps fitted inline on the pipework and you just turn them off when doing maintenance so you can remove the cnister with no leakage and no reprimimg.

The 2217 would do a grand job on a 55, just make sure you get the "plus" kit - all the media, pipes, taps and spray bar included.

If you really want to go with an internal, hopefully someone will be along who knows about the good ones soon
DaveGodfrey DaveGodfrey
  • Temperate Adviser
  • Temperate Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End Advisers
  • Posted on: 5/12/2011 16:15
Re: Filter advice #5
I've had a Fluval 305 on a 55 gallon for over a year, and never had any problems. (I think I had a bit of a flood once, when I had a senior moment and put the lid on the wrong way round.)

What stock do you have in your tank? I'm not aware of any internals suitable for a tank that size.
Loaches, Barbs, Minnows & Shrimp! Oh My!
suilaire suilaire
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Harris
  • Posted on: 5/12/2011 16:24
Re: Filter advice #6
Thanks Everyone!

I like the sounds of the taps on the Eheim - will look into that.

I have 5 angels, 13 red tip tetras, 2 pim pictus, 6 corys and a plec.

All of whom are over 2 years old (and the only fish I have put in this set up, except one poor angel who died in transit).

Maybe it is just me with the 305! I have kept fish for over 10 years, and always been quite fond of my fluval 4s.... Time for a big change!

Cristina
Resized Image
Reecy Reecy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 5/12/2011 17:11
Re: Filter advice #7
Hi Christina,

I recently asked a friend of mine about Eheim filters, she works in a fish shop, she told me they are expensive but very good, but the parts can be expensive as well, I've not got one so I can't say but just repeating what she told me.

But I do know Externals come up trumps over Internals every time, have you looked at Aquarist Classified Adverts there are a few filters for sale on there at good prices?
piggo64 piggo64
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 5/12/2011 18:55
Re: Filter advice #8
I have an Eheim 2217 and a smaller 2213, they are superb and really quiet in operation.
Definitely go for the double taps.
They make disconnection and reconnection a breeze!!
suilaire suilaire
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Harris
  • Posted on: 5/12/2011 20:46
Re: Filter advice #9
Thank you Piggo64 - great to hear from someone who's used them!

Do you think a 2217 is adequate for a mature 55 gallon tank? Do you run anything else alongside?

Is there a bigger one, or would that be too powerful?

Cristina
Resized Image
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 5/12/2011 21:13
Re: Filter advice #10
Hi

I have one each of the 2213, 2215 and 2217. The 2217 is rated for up to 600 litres (130 gallons) and I run that on my 5ft tank which is 265 litres (58 gallons), but with a 2213 (up to 250 litres/55 gallons) at the other end. Using both is probably overkill to be honest, but having a 14" plec in there I wanted to be sure of having adequate filtration. The 2215 is suitable for 350 litres/77 gallons and that will be running on either a 3ft/28 gallon or a 40" long 40 gallon in the near future, depending on which I set up first.

Eheim have just changed the numbering system on these to be in line with capacity, so the most recent are labelled the Classic 250, 350 and 600. Any manufactured previously under the Classic and Classic Plus 2213, 2215 and 2217 labels are a good bit cheaper at the moment, though are the exact same filters. But do go for the Plus version to get the taps and media included.