dundeejamie dundeejamie
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/11/2011 8:55
anyone else still feeding ? #1
i was advised by my local dealer to stop or seriously cut down on feeding but my fish still seem very hungry the outside temp is still above 10 here, i don't want them caught with food inside them when the cold eventually gets here so when is the right time to stop feeding ?
rubadub rubadub
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 22/11/2011 7:23
Re: anyone else still feeding ? #2
Hi,

It is all about WATER temperature, and if your pond's water temperature goes below 10 degrees (C) you should feed them wheatgerm based food, and you should stop altogether when the water temperature gets to 6 degrees or below. That is all off the back of different foods I have bought over the last few years, and my fish seem happy with me following that advice.

I have stopped feeding my fish as of last weekend, they just aren't interested any more and didn't eat anything I gave them. My pond water is 7 degrees right now.

Regards,
Rub-A-Dub-Dub 9 fish in the tub.
dundeejamie dundeejamie
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 22/11/2011 9:39
Re: anyone else still feeding ? #3
cheers for that that's kinda what i thought although i need to keep feeding my sturgeon as they still eat down to lower temperatures
Iain_clark Iain_clark
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 22/11/2011 20:33
Re: anyone else still feeding ? #4
I reduced my feeding to just once a day two weeks ago and then stopped feeding altogether last Sunday. The water temperature was still at 9 degrees, and the fish were interested in food, but the forecast was for it to get a lot colder this week so I wanted to allow time for that last feed to pass through the fish before their systems shut down for the Winter.
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 23/11/2011 16:59
Re: anyone else still feeding ? #5
I stopped feeding at the very first frost a few weeks ago, and wont commence till next spring

done this now for 6 years and fish don't seem to complain

keith

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...