totallybubbles totallybubbles
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/11/2011 17:38
Dropsy symptom #1
Once again I call upon you brilliant experts for advice.

My 7year old veiltail has started to show unusual symptoms brought on by no aparant reason. They included pop eye and dropsy. Possible bacterial problem.

Ammonia 0.2 nitrite 0.5 nitrate 0.5 ph 8.0

Treatment is as follows his cheeks started to swell first I knew something was wrong so I went for Tetra contraspot. Later his eyes started to pop; immediately carbon sponge went back in water change next day applied general tonic. Pop eye started to dissipate but as it did dropsy took hold. I knew it wasn't good I have trace aquarium salt in the water.

Tomorrow is planned water change and additional dose 7th day epsom salt bathes and I'm putting a drop of general tonic to dilute into the water in a small pot of bloodworm, he's being fed on this others are still normal diet.

Current condition lively wants food whan I'm about but as soon as excitement dies down he sulks at bottom of tank so I know it's effecting him. Full pinecone apperance has begun I'll post a picture shortly.

Was wondering if anyone had any extra advice better meds experiance with this sort of problem thanks.
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 17/11/2011 17:54
Re: Dropsy symptom #2
Unfortunately he is with the main group he's to large to put into the size of quaruntine tanks that I own at the moment and it would stress him.

As you can see he is still lively and responding to me still.
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 17/11/2011 17:58
Re: Dropsy symptom #3
sorry it's not letting me upload photos yet i'll try later
Miss pril Miss pril
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Deep End
  • Posted on: 17/11/2011 18:30
Re: Dropsy symptom #4
Have you got any eSHa 2000? I'm pretty sure that's meant to help but I've never had to treat it

Fingers crossed for you!!
I can't see you...but I know you're there
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/11/2011 19:45
Re: Dropsy symptom #5
Quote:

totallybubbles wrote:
My 7year old veiltail has started to show unusual symptoms brought on by no aparant reason. They included pop eye and dropsy. Possible bacterial problem.

Ammonia 0.2 nitrite 0.5 nitrate 0.5 ph 8.0

Sorry to have to say this but there's very good reason for his symptoms. You have ammonia and nitrite present in the water and both commonly cause the symptoms you've described.

The best cure for him is to get those under control; initially by regular daily partial water changes to dilute them and by dosing with Prime to neutralise them, and long term by tracking down the cause. As your nitrAte level is so low it would appear there may be a breakdown in your biological filter as very low nitrate suggests the tank isn't cycling.

How many are in the tank, what size tank is it and what filtration are you using?
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 18/11/2011 15:30
Re: Dropsy symptom #6
Hi totallybubbles

Is this the Juwel 180 with 6 fancies? Do you run external filtration as well? I would think current stocking is likely to be the cause of the ammonia and nitrite spikes
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 18/11/2011 19:34
Re: Dropsy symptom #7
I know I'm silly the only filtration I've got is the one it came with; an internal juwel filter with replacable sponges, I havn't been doing water changes since the treatment test results today read: ammonia 0.5 nitrite 0 nitrates 0 :/

Don't know where the nitrates have disappeared to must have done the test wrong.

I shall give you a link to a site that I reffered to as to how many goldfish I could have; had no idea before I widened my search to the internet about the actual mass needed for each fish.

I planning to buy a massive tank when I move out and use my current one as my quaruntine one, but parents say no to a bigger tank so it's wait until I move out or rehome them. :(
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 18/11/2011 19:38
Re: Dropsy symptom #8
Here is the link:
http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfish/info/aquacalc.htm

I'm not very good at math so I might be wrong and these guys maybe right?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 18/11/2011 20:29
Re: Dropsy symptom #9
They aren't that far off in terms of total length of fish:square inches of surface area - gives a result of 24 inches of fish for the Juwel 180. That's a max of 3 fancies at adult size, where we would recommend only 2 in a 180.

The trouble is that if you stock a tank to the max with juveniles they have no growing room at all, and 6 x 4 inch fish will cause more load on your filtration than 2 or 3 fully grown ones.

If you're stocking a tank with young fish it's always best to stock based on their adult size rather than purchase size unless you know for certain that you can upgrade pretty quickly to accomodate growth and an increasing bioload.

In general, inbuilt internal filters are not considered adequate for Goldies as they produce more waste than your average fish. Combined with the overstocking, this is why you're seeing ammonia/nitrite spikes.

How soon will you be able to upgrade to a bigger tank (bearing in mind for 6 fancies you'll be needing 350 litres or more)?
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 18/11/2011 21:25
Re: Dropsy symptom #10
Within the new year hopefully the tank would have to be second hand though as I want no less than 500litres and no more fish they have a lot of growing to do by the sounds of it. I should have done more research; I'm a little naive.