« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/8/2011 9:19
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #71
Hi Tessy,

Not a silly question, but, yes they're the right sponges. The U4 sponges are white.
tessy tessy
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cleveland
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 20/8/2011 12:19
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #72
thankyou noodle
deckrat deckrat
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/10/2011 10:59
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #73
Hi
Does this mean that I can dispose of the sponges,I am about to set up a new 180ltr tank with external filter and could substitute at setup

Deckrat
Adeyg Adeyg
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Posted on: 4/11/2011 20:04
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #74
Does anyone have any tips on using a gravel vacuum? Ours says to move the vacuum section rapidly up and down until the syphoning process starts. This really doesn't work and we had to resort to a strategic suck. Anyway, hoovered around all the gravel, lifting up sections and trying to get all the visible bits, until 30% water had been removed and then replaced with decholrinated water. There's still loads of debris now swirling round the tank and I'm worried we're not doing it properly... Our White Cloud Mountain Minnows are quite agitated too and I'm worried it's stressed them out.
SarahF SarahF
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 4/11/2011 20:17
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #75
I bought an Algarde Syphoning Set from LFS. The squeeze bulb gets the syphon started more easily than the swirling around/jiggling about bit and could be put into my gravel vac to make it the correct size.

I also tend to go section by section in the gravel and on the plants/ornaments. Sometimes I don't get it all done before the water has come out, so I do the bit I missed first and more thoroughly next time.

Mostly it just takes practice. HTH.
Formerly rubbish fishkeeper.
Adeyg Adeyg
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Posted on: 5/11/2011 12:45
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #76
Thank you Sarah. Then practice we will... x
Anonymous  
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #77
Hold the whole siphon set underwater until all air pockets are gone, then cover one end to keep the water in the tube while you take it out of the tank to point it over a bucket or window. Keep the other end underwater at all times, and when you uncover the first end the siphon should start. This is how I have always done it and it usually always works.
cactusjaxs cactusjaxs
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 30/1/2012 21:13
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #78
Hi all
Quick question with regards to my filter. I have a Fluval U3 filter which I havent cleaned for about 6 weeks due to cycling the tank. Now that I have fish in there I was planning to do it this weekend. In it I have two white sponges and some polywool. From reading this thread I am guessing I change one of the sponges and wash the other in water from the aquarium. Do I also chage the polywool at this time or do that seperately at a later time?
Thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/1/2012 23:24
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #79
No need to change the sponges, just rinse in tank water angd reuse. They don't need to be replaced unless they're falling apart - takes years Replace the polywool whenever it gets dirty.
aqualife2u aqualife2u
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 18/2/2013 18:30
Re: Filter and tank Cleaning #80
You will only remove damaging amounts of beneficial bacteria colony's if you scrubbed the gravel, the benefits of keeping the aquarium floor free from fish waste by far outweigh the small loss of beneficial bacteria.