sjyay78 sjyay78
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/10/2011 19:59
Please help blood patches on beloved goldfish #1
Hi all

Please help. My 3 year old fancy fan tail is poorly . i have two small fish in a 70 litre tank . He has patches of blood on his chest he also has some on his tail fin which also lookes clouded and a little ragged but not torn . They have both been lathargic so we have done another 10% water change which we do every week . I put some fin rot medication Interpet Fungus/Finrot in but it seemed to make them worse and they just sat on the bottom of the tank so we id another 10% change they have perked up and are full of beans and swimming around but the blood patches are still a massive worry . Please help is
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 8/10/2011 20:30
Re: Please help blood patches on beloved goldfish #2
Hi Sjyay welcome to FK

Sorry to hear that your fish are ill - it's horrid when they are

Have you done tests for ammonia. nitrite, ph. nitrate ? if so can you post results which will help people to advise you.

Have you got a filter in the tank ?

If you can provide the above info it would be really helpfull
Fishkeeping since April 2010 (still loads to learn )

Likes a giggle
sjyay78 sjyay78
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 8/10/2011 20:34
Re: Please help blood patches on beloved goldfish #3
I havent done a water test i know i should but i havent had a chance to get one. As i say i do water change weekly and have a sting ray 15 water filer which has had new bit in the last month i wondered weather this may have effected the water , just want to know if it is best to treat again with fin rot stuff or to treat for bacteria infection . more muran butch stanzinger ( great name huh ) is looking so bloodied it looks worse cause he is mainly white . Cant tell if my black moor fish barob von buggley ( even better name ) has any but his fins look ok
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 8/10/2011 21:03
Re: Please help blood patches on beloved goldfish #4
I would hang on with the treatment at the moment, hopefully somenone with more experience will be along soon to advise

I typically do about a 25% water change in my 90 litre once a week - I think most of the goldy keepers do (they are poop machines !). Your filter is a tad small for your tank so i think a bigger water change each week would help the fish.

A test kit would be a really good purchase - Api master test kit is good and a lot cheaper on ebay It's good to see what is going on in your tank and a test kit helps with this !

Likes a giggle
sjyay78 sjyay78
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 8/10/2011 21:05
Re: Please help blood patches on beloved goldfish #5
its not 70 litres sorry i got that wrong it is a 60 litre tank i thought the sting ray 15 was the right size for that tank with two gold fish who are only under 2 inches (body size ) ?
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 8/10/2011 21:19
Re: Please help blood patches on beloved goldfish #6
Do you use water conditioner when you do water changes ?

Also, do you use a gravel vac to remove debris from the bottom of the tank when you do water changes ?

It is very probable that the problems you are seeing are down to your water quality - ammonia / nitrite can cause lots of serious fishy problems

Ella

Likes a giggle
sjyay78 sjyay78
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 8/10/2011 21:20
Re: Please help blood patches on beloved goldfish #7
yes i use aqua safe in the water and i have a hoover my tank is really clean and plants are happy and healthy
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 8/10/2011 21:36
Re: Please help blood patches on beloved goldfish #8
Thanks for that

I have had loads of problems in the past with ammonia / nitrite - ooh! forgot low ph as well...

I don't think it will harm to do a bigger water change - say 20%, it will probably make your fishies more comfortable.

Small daily water changes will probably help your fish, say 10 - 15%. The test kit would be a really good purchase though.

I think everyone is watching x-factor tonight , but sure someone will come along and give you more advice re your fishies symptoms.

Ella

Likes a giggle
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 8/10/2011 21:49
Re: Please help blood patches on beloved goldfish #9
Hi welcome to FK.

When you added ?new bits? to your filter I assume you mean the media! If so did you change all of it in one go, or did you change 50% to keep the bacteria colony?

Have a look at the second link under my signature strip on the life expectancy of fish; if your fish are three years old they should be touching 5? now.

Tank size and filter capacity is everything with goldies, they are loveable fascinating creatures but are unfortunately the biggest poop makers going which is why they need uba filtration, unfortunately the sting rays are sadly lacking when it comes to goldies.

The test kit advised by Ella already is an essential piece of kit for any fish keeper so I suggest investing in one. The problem with your fish is very likely down to water quality/filtration.
sjyay78 sjyay78
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 8/10/2011 23:07
Re: Please help blood patches on beloved goldfish #10
unfortunatley the filter i had with the tank broke so i had to replace it with a spare which was the sting ray and because it had been out of the water for so long ( about a year) i changed the carbon filter and the stone filter bits. I know you should only do 50% but this was unavoidable due to the other filter breaking , bit of a nightmare i just hope it cycles quickly it doesnt help that one of my fish is sick . what filter do you suggest i get for a 60 litre tank ? should i just let the water alone now or do another 10% change . The fish were so small when i got them i would say there bodies are 2 1/2 inches not including there lovely tails . they have always been happy and disease free until this week . I have had water testing kits i just havent had a chance to get one this week as i am on nights so i do realise that this is an essential kit just been caught out this week . Do you suggest any medication for muran or shall i just let the water be while the filter cycles .