« 1 (2)
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/9/2011 22:51
Re: Sexing Goldfish #11
fish are and always will be contrary. It took me ages to figure out that the cold water made my lot frisky, it caused mayhem in the tank for ages after a water change.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 28/9/2011 22:57
Re: Sexing Goldfish #12
It's a little unusual for a female to chase continuously IME females tend to have the odd nip now and then, a bit of a shuffle\getting cosy up along side but not really all out chasing. That sounds much more like a male to me. Any raised bumps along the leading edge of the pectoral fins? Orandas and fish with headgrowths don't always show tubercles on the gills so check the fins. Males will chase other males, mine do all the time, but the girls rarely show an interest in chasing about. Ren used to look hopefully at Howie sometimes but I don't think he noticed. Some males are just permanently hopeful ...
It's Not Just A Fish
LisaB70 LisaB70
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/9/2011 23:07
Re: Sexing Goldfish #13
Thanks suey I'll check the pectoral fins tomorrow my lights have just gone off on the timer and moonlights have come on now so cant see them too well at the min, she is behaving like i would expect from a male hoping she is a girl though she's far too pretty to be a boy
LisaB70 LisaB70
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/9/2011 19:14
Re: Sexing Goldfish #14
Ive checked my fish's pectoral fins along the leading edge for raised bumps but cant see any, the vent it definately an 'outie' he/she has stopped chasing the other oranda today just does it when he comes close and isnt seeking him out to chase him like before perhaps it is a female and just feeling frisky hopefully things will settle down completely soon.