« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/9/2011 21:30
Re: How to find, buy and keep rare Cichlids? #31
They're quite often available. You'll still need RO to get the water right - soft to medium suits them so about a 50:50 mix with your tap water should do the job.
paddington paddington
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/9/2011 22:59
Re: How to find, buy and keep rare Cichlids? #32
Hi Grim have you considered the humble jolly awesome Bolivian Ram at all? Beautiful to look at, very cheeky little characters, pretty peaceful with other fish - even when trying to defend their young - and great to watch as they go about their tank rescaping business when they have young. I've found them to be very tolerant of water parameters too. Mine are in RO/thames water mixed, 8 gh, 5 kh, ph 7.4 ish, and have just started to breed. As of today, no survivors from their first spawn of two weeks ago ( :( ) but with a community of eat-anything-cherry barbs that isn't surprising!
Anonymous  
Re: How to find, buy and keep rare Cichlids? #33
Thanks for reminding me, I've meant to ask about the Ram - is it really a delicate fish (the natural type, not the cultivars) compared to other Cichlids with regards to water problems, sicknesses and medicines?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/9/2011 6:46
Re: How to find, buy and keep rare Cichlids? #34
Caresheet here for these. They are a tad sensitive, need excellent water quality, but not quite as delicate as the German Blue/Gold Rams.
Anonymous  
Re: How to find, buy and keep rare Cichlids? #35
Cheers Noodle, I'd read that but forgotten what it said, and then in early morning tiredness posted before checking it again!

I forgotten that I'd ruled out Rams because of their Nitrate sensitivity; Nitrates are relatively low here at c.10ppm, but we have lots of nitrate sensitive farmland due to the ease with which nitrates get into our chalk aquifer as it is often only overlayed by very sandy soils. I have had readings which seemed to be around 40ppm from the tap (which could be dangerous to Rams even with 2/3 RO) although I'm not 100% certain that was a correct reading as it was done with a stick. Either way, I thought it was better to be safe than sorry and avoid Rams
Anonymous  
Re: How to find, buy and keep rare Cichlids? #36
Quote:

Grim.Badger wrote:
Reading about Madagascan has re-ignited my desire to raise and keep some cichlids and I've fallen for the rare Katria katria (formerly known as Ptychochromoides katria).

Unlike my dismal attempt at keeping Convicts, I have hope that I'd be able to take better care of these as they are much less aggressive (and so will hopefully be less distrustful of me) and breed much less so it should be much easier to sell/give away the young.

But how do you actually get rare fish like this? Where do you go to buy rare cichlids? Can they be shipped safely across the pond from the US if need be?

I've learnt that they like well oxygenated fast flowing water, but not a strong current, with few plants but lots of rocks and sand - but not what pH and hardness; I'm guessing that like other Madagascans it would be high pH but soft water which might be difficult with my liquid chalk
Also, I've seen it suggested to have a 4ft for a group, but I was hoping to get a similar tank to the one I have (100cm 160L) for a single mated pair, is it alright to keep a mated pair of cichlids that are usually kept as groups?

Cheers

I don't know if he's still in business, but Rehoboth Aquatics in the states used to supply a whole range of very rare american cichlids. He alo used to export to the UK using a transhipper. I've not read the rest of the thread, but only think about doing this if you have lots of fishkeeping experience and fully understand the significant import procedures and costs. They scare a lot of people. ;)

Alternatively join the BCA (British Cichlid Association)and seek out Steve Chester and ask him where you can obtain such fish. He posts on the SVAS (Sheaf Valley Aquarist Society)forum from time to time so you could always pm him on there.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 16/9/2011 11:13
Re: How to find, buy and keep rare Cichlids? #37
I can recommend Steve Chester: just bought a pair of Dicrossus Filamentosus and 5 young Apistogramma Eunotus from him
Anonymous  
Re: How to find, buy and keep rare Cichlids? #38
Quote:

Noodle wrote:
I can recommend Steve Chester: just bought a pair of Dicrossus Filamentosus and 5 young Apistogramma Eunotus from him

He's a good lad. Him and I were the original breeding club judges on the PFK forum breeding club. He breeds an astonishing amount of fish at home. All of whish are very good quality.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 16/9/2011 11:52
Re: How to find, buy and keep rare Cichlids? #39
I only found out last week that the BCA held their meeting about 3/4 of mile from where I live. Would have liked to attend the auction if I'd realised

I believe Steve bred the Eunotus I have, but the Dicrossus are wild caught. All very high quality fish, and extremely healthy.
Anonymous  
Re: How to find, buy and keep rare Cichlids? #40
I've seen him sell the Apistos on ebay for the last few years. He also sells home bred Pelvicachromis and other Apisto species regularly.

Andrew Wood is also another very good source of rarer cichlids.

Are you planning on breeding the Dicrossus Filamentosus? A very worthy challenge if you do. :)