Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 12/9/2011 14:23
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #11
Thanks

The pics on my profile were taken when it was new and hadn?t yet been arranged to their liking. It?s about 18 months old now, and going great guns. Multie?s are multiplying all over the place but the punks haven?t managed to rear any babies, which is possibly down to the multies spreading like wild fire.

I have another tank which needs to be set up so I can transfer the punks to give them the room they need to feel secure, that?s a project which has been on the back burner for a while so I really should get my finger out and get it set up.
dubghod dubghod
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 14/9/2011 15:56
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #12
Added two multies yesterday :) And just got delivery of the shells, really nice. The shells in LFS were terrible and were ?2.50 each! I just got 2 to tie them over until these were delivered and they havent gone near them. Going to take them out and put 20 or so in, as well as my new aquarium rocks which have just been delivered :).

They havent moved out of the pile of bogwood I put in there yet :( I suppose they will be quite shy until I add more?

Im thinking of not bothering with the Julies now and try and focus on a bigger happier multi colony.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 14/9/2011 16:06
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #13
Multies do in general like shells with round openings and which are light enough for them to move about - tres gros escargot shells (i.e. as JB posted - we have explained to that website what we are doing with all shells and no snails!) are probably best - they are not quite as big as neothauma shells which is what they would use in the lake but they weigh about the same. (Having said that I also have multies living in rock caves and in large shells which were meant purely as decoration )

I have got about 150 of the escargot shells in my 200L tank, along with some limestone rock and some more decorative shells I bought from USA - when I bought them a few years ago the exchange rate was much more favourable, it may not be worth it now, but this is the website:
http://www.cichlidbreeding.com/products.php?cat=10
The delphinula and turbo shells look nice but I find they are less useful for multies as they are heavy relative to size. Other small shelldwellers may be less keen on moving shells about and they are probably very good for them as they have nice round openings.

Just wait until you see the first fry - indescribable! Shame you are not nearer I could have given you some.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
dubghod dubghod
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 14/9/2011 16:20
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #14
Im sure you may have some sort of idea how excited I am about introducing more and watching the colony establish itself :). I have box of the shells JB recommended, just need to give them a rinse and drop them in :).

There is something about Multies which has really perked my interest for some reason, I really hope my 3 Petricola's dont cause them too many issues. Two people have now said that they will be a pain in the #OOPS# :(.

And yes, it is a real shame im not closer they were ?16 each in my LFS!

As you obviously have experience with them, what foods would you recommend and what feeding pattern do you follow?

Thanks for the comments, would anybody be interested in some pics of the setup this evening?
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 14/9/2011 16:27
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #15
Quote:

And yes, it is a real shame im not closer they were ?16 each in my LFS!

Astonishing, mine were ?8 in London but that was a few years ago - and they were quite hard to get - yet they are very easy to breed once you get the set up right. I think the thing is that it is a nightmare to try and selectively catch juveniles.

I feed mine morning and evening with Hikari micropellets or JBL Novo Tanganjika flake and a mix of the smallest frozen live foods a couple of times a week, they enjoy live daphnia too when I can get it.

I keep mine in a species tank. I was thinking about getting some cyprichromis leptosoma to go with them, that seemed a safe mix, but then decided the tank wasnt really big enough. You may find you need another tank if the petricolas bother them.

Look forward to pics.

These are some of mine:

Attach file:

jpg  (198.01 KB)
2185_4e70c8d038c64.jpg 1024X767 px
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
dubghod dubghod
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 14/9/2011 16:39
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #16
Looking really nice and healthy :). I hope this tank all goes to plan and I end up with a happy colony :D. I have found an online retailer of the Multies at ?5.99 each or two for ?11, I think I may order 6 of them if the current 2 get on OK for a week or so, they are confident that they can supply x3 breeding pairs.
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 14/9/2011 18:54
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #17
Quote:

dubghod wrote:
There is something about Multies which has really perked my interest for some reason

I have to agree with you there, my Multies fascinate me on a daily basis; i can sit and watch them for hours. They are so full of character you will soon be able to identify individuals.

I seem to remember mine were about ?7 each...i wasn?t really taking much notice when it came to paying for them, i just wanted to get them home and settled

Cathie's right about the fry too...i was in a complete spin when i spotted the first baby.. Awesome Multies make fantastic parents.
dubghod dubghod
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 15/9/2011 9:21
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #18
They are amazing, they seem to be settling in nicely although they are landscape gardening the bogwood caves I put together rather than the shells. Although, I did only put the shelves in yesterday... I cant believe it! I didnt see very much action at all and as soon as I leave for work my girlfriend kindly informs me that they are both swimming backwards and forwards spitting out sand! So im missing out while she gets to admire them!

These fish really do have so much character and personality, they have built a fortress in the bogwood cave!

Pic isnt very good, ill get some better ones up when the plants have established they look terrible at the moment and the water isnt as clear as id like yet.

Im thinking of changing those rocks for some ocean rock they dont look as good as I was hoping and im not sure about them :/.

Attach file:

jpg  (863.37 KB)
13878_4e71b5ed1f76b.jpg 2592X1552 px
dubghod dubghod
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 15/9/2011 9:24
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #19
And here is their bogwood fortress. I had no idea the tank was that dirty! Will get that cleaned tonight.

Attach file:

jpg  (885.81 KB)
13878_4e71b64f3bb81.jpg 2592X1552 px