« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »
Simplyobsessed Simplyobsessed
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/9/2011 22:43
Re: Why do my little fishies keep dying? :( #31
If you think its a wind up then its up to you.

Thank you for the advice everyone I will keep you updated.
Brigitte Brigitte
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 11/9/2011 23:12
Re: Why do my little fishies keep dying? :( #32
Yes please do keep us posted. Don't feel bad for not knowing how to care for them...almost all of us started the exact same way as you! We believed the money hungry pet stores and when disaster struck, we came here. The important thing is that now you have the right information.

If you do decide you want to keep goldfish, remember there are loads of people here with so much knowledge and experience to pass on, who will be more than happy to advise and guide you on choosing the right tank and setting it up properly. Fish are fascinating creatures with individual personalities, and keeping happy healthy fish is so rewarding.

I hope you keep coming back to us for help and advice, and we would love to hear your progress.

Good luck!
Brig
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 12/9/2011 8:12
Re: Why do my little fishies keep dying? :( #33
Can we give the OP the benefit of the doubt please? If you think a thread is a wind up then please PM one of the mods.

Simplyobsessed- you've been given some good advice and some info to read. We'll answer any questions you've got but in the meantime please don't get any more fish!

I know it's frustrating that some shops just lie through their teeth. I'm sure there is a better shop near you, maybe some of our Northern members will be able to recommend somewhere- anyone?
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 12/9/2011 9:50
Re: Why do my little fishies keep dying? :( #34
Where in Yorkshire are you simplyobsessed - it's a big area

There are a few of us in Yorkshire and I am sure we can point you in the direction of a decent retailer,

It would be helpfull too if you could fill in your profile

Fishkeeping since April 2010 (still loads to learn )

Likes a giggle
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From -
  • Posted on: 12/9/2011 12:49
Re: Why do my little fishies keep dying? :( #35
I am in Harrogate.

The pet shop I usually go to and got my little bunny from is called snip and snap and is a really nice place, the man who ownes it really loves the animals and used to let us go in and play with them when we were kids :D unfortunately he doesnt sell fish so I went to the one in the centre of town but I don't know its name. they sell lots of fish there.
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 12/9/2011 13:09
Re: Why do my little fishies keep dying? :( #36
Hi simplyobsessed, I haven?t got anything to add to the great info you?ve had so far other that to endorse every word.

The majority of pet stores & fish shops are in it to make money plain and simple. The links under my signature strip have already been advocated by others on here but I would urge you once again to have a read through them.

Members here come on day after day to pick up the pieces for people who have been lead astray with the woeful lack of knowledge given them by fish shops who just want to send you away with a container, (I wont refer to them as tanks/aquariums because they are not) and a couple of cute iddy-biddy fish (babies) to put in it. We have nothing to gain, we don?t get paid to come on here, the advise is sound and absolutely free, the only difference is that we have learnt through years of experience the best and most successful way to keep fish humanely.

Ask as many questions as you like, we generally have members on at all times of day and night (those who cant sleep )
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 12/9/2011 17:23
Re: Why do my little fishies keep dying? :( #37
I am quite a distance from you, nearer to Sheffield than Harrogate !

The nearest I could recommend is maidenhead aquatics south of leeds.

Does anyone know of any shop they could recommend nearer to Harrogate ?

To be honest though I think you are better reading the information on this site, and learning for yourself - then you are not reliant on a sales person.
Fishkeeping since April 2010 (still loads to learn )

Likes a giggle
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From -
  • Posted on: 13/9/2011 12:12
Re: Why do my little fishies keep dying? :( #38
I went into the fish shop today and I got two little fishies :D I know you all advised me not to but I just had to! I named one Fish and the other Chips. I'm going to get a bigger fish tank in a few months and a water filter. I'm a student and will be bringing them with me in a couple of weeks to Newcastle - what is the best way to transport fish?
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 13/9/2011 12:22
Re: Why do my little fishies keep dying? :( #39
Bag them up like they were when you got them from the shop, with enough water for them to move about but mostly air. Then drop the bag into a cardboard box whish fits it snugly to stop the fish getting tossed about. I'm assuming you will be traveling by car?

As we have said many times the fish cannot survive without clean water which needs to be pre treated with a 'tap safe' product. If you are refusing to provide a mature filter then you will need to make sure you keep on top of water changes 20% per day with pre treated water.

That bowl will only lead to fish becoming stunted and dying i'm afraid.

JON
Resized Image
dismalscientist dismalscientist
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 13/9/2011 12:23
Re: Why do my little fishies keep dying? :( #40
That's very, very sad news. The poor fish will just die again.

I wonder if you could tell us why you decided to get them, despite what we told you?

Perhaps we didn't give you enough information about how cruel it is to keep them in the way you are using?
[i][color=9900CC]Good resolutions are useless attempts to interfere with