(1) 2 »
dubghod dubghod
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 11/9/2011 15:18
Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #1
I am setting up a Tanganyikan aquarium and have decided on the following species but im unsure of the numbers of each that I should have. Some feedback from some more experienced Cichlid keepers would be really appreciated :). I already own 3 Synos which are going in this tank, the rest are still open to debate.

The tank has plenty of caves and hiding places, more than enough for the amount of fish im planning on keeping.

Julidochromis Regani x?
Neolamprologus Multifasciatus x?
Synodontis Petricola x3 (planning on 5, can keep at 3 if it makes more space for others)

92l 3' tank.

What are these fishes oxygen requirements? Do they like fast or slow flowing water?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/9/2011 18:53
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #2
Hi

If you want Julidochromis, you should go for Ornatus, Dickfeldi or Transcriptus for the size of your tank. You could keep one mated pair in there. As is commonly the case with Cichlids though you may find it difficult to obtain a pair and so have to start with a group and wait for a pair to form. When that happens the surplus will need to be rehomed or there will be serious problems when the pair spawn, probably reulting in deaths. Ragani and Marlieri are too big for your tank: both need a 4ft minimum as they can reach 12" as adults.

Six multies woud be a reasonable start giving both sexes and they will breed rapidly, though in a mixed tank a lot of the young will end up as food for the Julies and Synos.

How many synos you can add to that is partly dependent on your filtration - what filter are you using?

You'll need to ensure you set the tank up with clearly defined teritories: rocks and caves for the Julies, sand and shells for the multies. Get at least three times the amount of shells as the number of fish - 18 shells for 6 Multies as they like to have a choice.

Tangs need very clean water with a low level of nitrates, good oxygenation, but not a massive amount of flow.
hague1982 hague1982
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/9/2011 19:23
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #3
I disagree Julidochromis regani will be fine in your set up and even if a pair form they allow submissive julies in to protect the fry and area from other fish! this is what happened with mine granted they where in a bigger a tank but they will be fine with shellies! don't get me wrong there will be some chasing round untill a hierarcy is established but they'll be fine! they'll get around 6" not 12"

I wouldn't add any more petricola though infact if your serious about cichlids i'd move them on but it depends on what you want to do!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/9/2011 19:40
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #4
Sorry - should have been cms not inches . But even so I don't think anything less than a 4ft is appropriate for Regani and they will commonly raid the Multie's nests for fry unless they're too busy caring for their own youngsters.
hague1982 hague1982
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/9/2011 19:43
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #5
not saying it won't happen i'm just saying i never saw it happen when i kept them with shellies the synos will be a pain in the A**e though!

is a small footprint though theres no denying that!
dubghod dubghod
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 12/9/2011 9:30
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #6
Why would the Synos be a pain in the ass? Simply because they will eat any fry?

I have a good internal filter, Ehiem Biopower 200, which is for 100l-200l tanks. My medium term plan is to upgrade to an external filter when I move into a bigger place.

Is there a specific or preferred type of shell for the shell dwellers? I will have a scout about online to see what I can find. In the LFS they werent in their shells, but they had shifted all of the gravel to the front of the tank and made themselves a big "valley".

When my rocks are delivered I will upload some pics for some feedback on placement/territory boundaries.

Once again thank you for all your help and input :).
dubghod dubghod
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 12/9/2011 10:04
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #7
Would these shells be OK for the Multies? If not are you able to provide an appropriate alternative?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Terrarium-D ... em20bc3ad48b#ht_693wt_905

Cheers :)
DaveGodfrey DaveGodfrey
  • Temperate Adviser
  • Temperate Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/9/2011 10:38
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #8
Don't know about those shells, but I know that the resident Multi keepers here use escargot shells that are supplied to French restaurants to serve snails in. Given that they'd be food-safe I might look at them first.
Loaches, Barbs, Minnows & Shrimp! Oh My!
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 12/9/2011 10:43
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #9
Hi, THESE are the shells ive used in my Multie tank, have a look at my profile for pics of my tank set up.
dubghod dubghod
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 12/9/2011 13:50
Re: Planned Tanganyika community, feedback please? :) #10
Awesome Jellybean, those look really nice and are reasonably well priced. Also, really nice setup you have how old is it in the pics? Nice healthy looking Multies :)