« 1 2 (3)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/9/2011 11:22
Re: Strange shrimp behaviour #21
I would imagine it was something on the new plants then Sorry they've gone.
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 4/9/2011 11:31
Re: Strange shrimp behaviour #22
Just checked em and two are on their feet again!! Copper is not good for Bettas either is it? but Brea seems fine. I soaked the plants and rinsed them before adding what more can you do?

JON
Resized Image
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/9/2011 11:48
Re: Strange shrimp behaviour #23
Copper is fairly toxic to most fish depending on dosage, worse for some than other (scaleless fish), and Bettas are sensitive to it. Chelated copper is safe for most scaled fish. The amount in a treatment lingering on plants would be much less of a problem for Brea, probably not enough to cause any ill-effect, but it's a different story for shrimp.

Also bear in mind that as V said early on in the thread, the problem may simply have been too much Prime in the water change - that wouldn't affect Brea at all, but has been known to cause serious problems for shrimp.
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Posted on: 5/9/2011 11:12
Re: Strange shrimp behaviour #24
You won't believe this, but they are all up and about in the hospital tank as if nothing had happened!!

Now, how do I re-introduce them to Brea's tank? I'm tempted to drain the tank and refill with 50% goldfish water and 50% fresh. Does that sound a good idea? Shall I do anything more to the plants?

JON
Resized Image
kellie kellie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Deep End
  • Posted on: 5/9/2011 11:26
Re: Strange shrimp behaviour #25
YAY its a miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Note to self: must not buy anymore tanks
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Posted on: 5/9/2011 19:41
Re: Strange shrimp behaviour #26
Can anybody advise cos i want to do this this evening, will a 100% water change be enough? As I say i'll use 50% mature goldfish water and 50% fresh. Will the copper have dissipated by now?

JON
Resized Image
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 5/9/2011 20:51
Re: Strange shrimp behaviour #27
Hi Jon,

If there was enough copper on the plants to cause a bad reaction it would probably also affect filter bacteria - have you tested ammonia and nitrite since it happened and if so are they 0?

Where did the plants come from? It may be worth checking with them whether they use any copper products before doing anything as it's not good to do 100% water change from Brea's perspective.