• Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/8/2011 15:13
Re: fungus (yum yum) #21
Oh I'm sorry to hear about your fish! x
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/8/2011 15:40
Re: fungus (yum yum) #22
Quote:

Gingerbread_Gem wrote:
She seemed to be getting better but died a couple of days ago :(

Sorry to hear she didn't make it

Quote:

It says on the melafix to use it for 3 days after the introduction of any new fish, and I've seen products before that are supposed to be a general 'fish heath' kind of tonic that should help with any unseen nasties... are either of these worth doing?

I'm not personally inclined to medicate on the off-chance, but with some of the milder, natural treatments I doubt it would do any harm.

Personally I always quarantine any new fish for 2-4 weeks so that anything they're carrying will manifest and can be specifically treated before they mix with my existing stock. I know that's not always possible, though a suitable food safe storage box can be set up as a temporary QT when needed using a spare heater and a small internal filter with media pinched from the main tank is a good solution. It can all be packed away when not in use.
Gingerbread_Gem Gingerbread_Gem
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Shropshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/8/2011 17:34
Re: fungus (yum yum) #23
I would like to start quarantining fish. I've been waiting for my lfs to have 'seconds' fishtanks again, I got a 60l for my tarantula about a year ago really cheap (just the glass tank) but since then whenever they've had them cheap I've not had any money. After the gourami though I think i'd better wait until I've got one before adding more fish.

at least nobody else seems to have caught it, whatever it was