« 1 (2)
Anonymous  
Re: SNAKES SNAKES SNAKES #11
Thanks Noodle.

Suey - Feeding trials continue this evening funnily enough. Both have now shed with no problems. I've added a lot of live plants so they feel nice and secure. And I've observed them both cruising around their vivs at night. Jerry fed, Ben did not last weekend. But he (or she) was definitely in 'hunting mode' the other night so feeding should be easy........

I have the OK for two US imports. The ones I really want cost three times as much though, so discussions are still ongoing! BK is based in Orlando so I might pop over and go and see him and then head south for a holiday. That may swing things a little.

You almost (finally) got a pic of my Microsynodontis earlier, but by the time I'd got the camera ready they resumed hiding. Will try again tomorow when I do some tank maintenance.

Back on topic, here are some of the animals I plan on using next year in my Sinaloan breeding project.

Normal female.

Resized Image

Albino female.

Resized Image

Normal male with abhorrent markings. This came from a clutch with some very unusual markings, so we'll see how the genetics prove out. Or not.

Resized Image

Striped male.

Resized Image

Hopefully I'll be able to produce an albino striped animal or two as they're very, very rare.

Hope the tags work this time.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/7/2011 17:38
Re: SNAKES SNAKES SNAKES #12
You're welcome. Tags didn't work again....if you're still in edit time, change all instances of IMG to img
Anonymous  
Re: SNAKES SNAKES SNAKES #13
Random shot of a corn snake I caught in the states when out 'herping'.

Resized Image

I found a few of these. If I posted pics of any of them on reptile keeping forums stating they were mine I'd be accused of neglect as the wild snakes were all very thin. So thin, then looked malnourished with a 'tented' appearance.

I found a few other reps out there too

Resized Image

Resized Image

Not great pics, but I didn't want to get too close funnily enough.

Will add some pics of 'tamer' reps tomorrow.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 31/7/2011 0:45
Re: SNAKES SNAKES SNAKES #14
They're very lovely colours, quite intense aren't they. And Mr Black is a very fancy looking fellow, snakes aren't a pet I've ever wanted but he is rather pretty Mind you, the persuasive capacity of a trip to the sun would sway even me so I'm sure you'll have no probs with OH

Glad to hear the new babies are looking interested in food, they're so tiny I'd be a nervous wreck if they didn't eat for a day let alone a week!

Re the microsynodontis ... Cathie was on the verge of driving to Surrey to take her own pics of my new goldie tanks after much faffing about on my part ... I'm starting to see her point!

I've only ever seen one snake in the wild, it was an adder in the New Forest which had chosen to cross the road just as about 40 cyclists appeared. It wasn't impressed at being surrounded and had something of a comedy moment trying to decide what to do before realising it was best just to stay put and hiss over-dramatically at things

Will watch this space tomorrow then ...
It's Not Just A Fish
Anonymous  
Re: SNAKES SNAKES SNAKES #15
Jerry fed again. He(?) gave a second really good feeding response striking hard at his dinner and the 'killing' his frozen / defrost dinner for the next 10 minutes. He then took three hours trying to consume it from the wrong end. He looks a little 'podged' this morning though with a large bump in his tummy. Ben wasn't bothered again. I'll try again in another week...

Resized Image

My mountain kings will go off their food in september I imagine. At least they have done in previous years. I'll switch off the heat two weeks after their last meal and not even think about warming them up, let alone feeding them again until next february. Just to put feeding frequencies into perspective. :)

The normal female Sinaloan above is actualy a bit on the fat side, so she's on a diet for the next three weeks at least.

You didn't notice the bambino gators then? Look very closely. I've seen quite a few wild snakes here and on my travels. I've had a grass snake slither just two feet from my wellies when fishing before. I've also seen a cotton mouth on holiday. The OH told me to get close so I could get a good pic. I passed the camera to her and told her to get really close, and then pointed out that they're venemous! Bless her. She passed me the camera straight back! lol

Anyway, I stayed about 6'to 8' away. Well out of it's tiny strike range. The mouth is wide open (No prizes for guessing where they get their names from) as it's warning me away. I saw a 6' foot indigo snake shortly after this but couldn't get a picture in time as these guys can really shift when they want too.

Resized Image

Are there any other snake keepers on here? The thread could do with a few more pics! There has to be some. Reptiles are very common pets these days.

Will take pics of Micro cats and leafs in an empty tank. They really are difficult to snap. Sometimes it takes me 10 minutes just to spot a leaf fish! Longer if I'm not feeding them. I know this sounds daft, but sometimes you are looking at them without realising it is one of them. It's my fault for having far too many lillies in the tank. :(
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 31/7/2011 17:00
Re: SNAKES SNAKES SNAKES #16
No snakes or other reptiles here these days - not since the late 80s. Took very few pics back then due to costs of film and processing unfortunately.

I'm enjoying your contributions on this thread though - vicarious snake-keeping
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 31/7/2011 22:13
Re: SNAKES SNAKES SNAKES #17
Ah, I see the baby alligators now, sorry, was a bit late last night when I posted and I thought they were sticks Many years ago I went to somewhere in Florida which had an alligator centre, some name like Gatorland or something like that. Obviously there were many many alligators there, they're not the most attractive of beasties en masse, and their attention to personal hygiene left a lot to be desired! And I definitely wouldn't want to get between Momma and her babies ...

That's quite a big dinner for a little snake! No wonder he looked a bit fat!

Have been trying to think who else on here keeps snakes, all the ones I can think of don't post any more for various reasons, although Tim (OP) does pop in from time to time so maybe he'll spot this

Have seen one pic of the leafs, you posted on SF?
It's Not Just A Fish