« 1 (2) 3 »
Gillian E Gillian E
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/6/2011 17:08
Re: Best way to keep Herons away? #11
We built a pergola over our pond & it's helped. It not only looks good, but we've put coach lamps around it & decking. We're now putting 2 foot wrought iron fencing panels around, with openings for access. At the moment we have just 2 wooden bars all around.

We live a mile from a huge reservoir + 2 smaller ones & a huge man made lake called the Heronry, for obvious reasons. We get them over every day & occasionally they sit on the pergola, but so far we haven't noticed any fish missing.

It looks very oriental in style & everybody admires it. My Husband & his friend did all the woodwork, but we have a professional making the wrought iron.
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 5/6/2011 8:47
Re: Best way to keep Herons away? #12
Hi Gillian

Your pond sounds fab - any chance of pics ?

Re; the plastic heron, the chap at Maidenhead Aquatics mentioned what Violet said (in breeding season heron can be lured by them), plus because feeding opportunities are depleting if they see a heron they are now more likely to try and feed at the same spot.

I still like the netting, and had not thought of raising to encourage frogs etc. My only worry is cats (cat central round here!). Do foxes take fish ?

I love heron by the way (although that may change !). We do get them over= not seen one recently though.

Ella
colm12345 colm12345
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 11/6/2011 9:53
Re: Best way to keep Herons away? #13
I have had this problem for years if you make the pond deep so he can't stand in it and nothing raised in middle of pond for it to stand on he cand land on water he will land in garden and walk to pond as long as he cant touch the bottom he won't get in if you put a hand rail round it
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 11/6/2011 10:21
Re: Best way to keep Herons away? #14
Hey Ella,

In response to your cat query - if you have a fence around the pond - it doesn't need to be more than 20cm or so in height, cats can't fish as they aren't able to 'reach' over the fence. So assuming that there's nothing within the fenced in pond that they can sit on, they won't be able to catch the fish.

And you can attach the netting to the fence. Just make sure the fence has big enough gaps for small wildlife, but no gaps bigger than a cats head - if they can get a head through, they can get the rest of them through!

Hope that makes sense?
Fizz
freddie84 freddie84
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 11/6/2011 13:13
Re: Best way to keep Herons away? #15
i tried with a hosepipe but failed the heron managed to take away my largest fish
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 14/6/2011 19:36
Re: Best way to keep Herons away? #16
Hi Fizz

Thanks for your reply, that really helps. Think I will put netting over.

It's coming on now (the digging that is), we are going to have to put a wall up one side though to support the fence (wasn't expecting that). So, a side of the pond will be to the wall, it will possibly be breeze block (unless someone can suggest anything else), with old carpet covering it, then plenty of pond underlay, then liner - anyone any other Ideas ?

Ella
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 14/6/2011 19:52
Re: Best way to keep Herons away? #17
Quote:

Ella wrote:
with old carpet covering it, then plenty of pond underlay, then liner - anyone any other Ideas ?

If you want a pond to last, never use carpet.

The carpet will rot / compress over time giving no support and also creating a void where it was. If its a wall you are concerned about, give it a screed coat first then the liner underlay.
Anonymous  
Re: Best way to keep Herons away? #18
In total agreement with 2010.
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 14/6/2011 21:21
Re: Best way to keep Herons away? #19
Thanks for that chaps, was hoping you would ride in to the rescue

The screed coat sounds better, will certainly do that.

Have you any advice as to what I can cover the corner(s) of the breeze block wall with ? will the underlay be enough ?

Thank you

Ella
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 14/6/2011 22:01
Re: Best way to keep Herons away? #20
There is no rule that says walls have to meet at 90 degrees.

Resized Image
(Picture found by google)

Made with breeze blocks, not a strait edge to be seen.

So long as you back fill behind any curves and tamp it down there should be no problem.

Take pictures as it progresses, if you don't you will regret it later.