« 1 (2)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/5/2011 12:41
Re: Exploding heater!!! #11
Best ignore my post Cathie, I must have been sleeping when I wrote it. I've just realised what you're talking about is filters with inbuilt heating
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 1/5/2011 13:06
Re: Exploding heater!!! #12
Yes it's an eheim external with the heating element at the bottom of the canister. You are thinking of the inline heaters that you can attach into a section of piping somewhere e.g. the hydor one? Extra connections for poss leakage, and does it reduce flow rate (don't know), would put me off that rather than the rena smartheater which replaces the intake, but don't know anyone who uses one.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/5/2011 14:33
Re: Exploding heater!!! #13
Mmmm, I've heard some negative things about the Hydor external heaters failing. I'd love to have the heating outside the tank, because heaters aren't very nice to look at, but replacing 4 externals for the heated version and buying more for the other tanks is a stretch too far financially. I might have to do it on a maintenance basis - when a filter needs replacing/upgrading may be do it then, piecemeal. But with Eheims being so reliable that may take years
hague1982 hague1982
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/5/2011 18:47
Re: Exploding heater!!! #14
Bought 2 300watt heaters today from cmc aquatics in wigan, GOT THEM FOR A BARGAIN ?13.50 EACH. went for a walk round pier aquatics as well love that shop!
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers Caresheets
  • Posted on: 1/5/2011 19:05
Re: Exploding heater!!! #15
Good price that, but do they have a thermal cutout? I've started buying these and now they don't go 'bang' if they run dry, but the glass will still shatter if you take them from warm (25C) water to cold water (5C) as I found out... (doh!) I also got a digital heater from a LFS that was closing and got 50% off. I wouldn't have paid ?40 for it but ?20 was a bargain, it's my pride of place heater! :)
Onyxia Onyxia
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Advisers Deep End Registered Users
  • Posted on: 1/5/2011 19:29
Re: Exploding heater!!! #16
I would recommend the smart heater. A little bit pricey but very difficult to break and the temperature of the tank always matches what I set it to.