(1) 2 »
hague1982 hague1982
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 30/4/2011 22:16
Exploding heater!!! #1
Well I was just 1 tank away from completing my weekly water changes on all my tanks when I went in to top up my second to last tank and I forgot to turn off the heater that was just sticking out of the water, well it exploded and electrocuted me as I was dipping my bucket in!............Other than a sore left arm I'm now going to be spending the evening cleaning out my wate butt and refilling it again oh and buffering it again!!!

oh well lesson learnt!
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 30/4/2011 22:33
Re: Exploding heater!!! #2
Eek Glad you are ok though, could have been nasty!

I've fried a few heaters in my time due to over large water changes and forgetting to turn the heaters off. The smell of melting plastic and cooking algae from the holders gave the game away for mine! I would say it's not likely you'll do it again but I've done it three times now - Mr S has printed a little sticker and stuck it on my siphon which says 'turn off heater' with a little skull and crossbones for added emphasis Maybe you need a little sticker on your bucket or something to jog the memory
It's Not Just A Fish
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/4/2011 23:28
Re: Exploding heater!!! #3
Oooh scary! Glad you're OK
hague1982 hague1982
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 30/4/2011 23:45
Re: Exploding heater!!! #4
Just finished cleaning out the water butt and i turned round to put the lid back on and my spare 300watt heater dropped and smashed as well . Story of my life!!! so my pulcher tank looks like it's getting changed on monday or tuesday after i pick up a few new heaters tomorrow!!!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/4/2011 23:49
Re: Exploding heater!!! #5
Flippin' expensive hobby this fishkeeping isn't it?
hague1982 hague1982
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 30/4/2011 23:55
Re: Exploding heater!!! #6
it is when your a clumsy sod!
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers Caresheets
  • Posted on: 1/5/2011 0:00
Re: Exploding heater!!! #7
Not good is it, I've done it too - grabbed hold of the bare element on mine accidentally! I don't think it's 240V running through the coils so it's not as severe a shock as you'd get from a mains supply but it's still not pleasant!

I think I've broken 5 heaters to date... I have a few spares now but need to top up really.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 1/5/2011 10:36
Re: Exploding heater!!! #8
I've got one thing to say to you lot - thermofilter ... that's what stands between me and hideous accidents especially with my ever increasing age-related cognitive decline - factor the cost into your pension plans now while you are still young ...
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 1/5/2011 10:45
Re: Exploding heater!!! #9
Are these the heaters that live outside the tank? I'm quite interested but gather they are very expensive. How do they compare price-wise to a decent internal heater? And who makes them? I know I'm being a bit lazy by asking rather than searching, but would value input from someone who uses them - I tend not to always trust everything I read on't internet
Bead Bead
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 1/5/2011 10:57
Re: Exploding heater!!! #10
Glad your ok, scary stuff. I had one go on me but luckily didn't pop. Did learn my lesson and now the heater is very low down in the tank.
The proud owner of a 350 litre tank as a home for my 6 fancy goldies.... Dumbledore, Dylan, Noggin, Ben, Bubo and little Nanny (name change when her personality comes out).