« 1 (2)
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers Caresheets
  • Posted on: 12/4/2011 13:49
Re: Hole through fish!!?? #11
Found 6 boxes of Octozin in the garage last night!? So I'm goign to try that, apparently it's commonly used for hole-in-the head and other parasites so it might work... if it is a parasite that is.
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 15/4/2011 11:05
Re: Hole through fish!!?? #12
Update:

I've dosed octozin for 2 days (third and final day today) and hopefully this will kill any parasites that may have caused this wound. I've also dropped the quarantine tank temperature to 20C to slow down the bacteria in the wound. Will let you know how it goes...
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 15/4/2011 11:17
Re: Hole through fish!!?? #13
Sounds like you're doing all you can - I'm amazed the little fish has survived so long with a hole in it's head like that.

Please keep us updated and good luck!
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 15/4/2011 12:10
Re: Hole through fish!!?? #14
Thanks, I'm going to do a couple of water changes over the weekend and start dosing anti-bacterial meds next week and bring the temperature back up to around 23C.
Scarlett Scarlett
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/4/2011 15:50
Re: Hole through fish!!?? #15
Hey, we was looking through our fish book and we found some information that might be helpful...

Symptons: Light coloured, stringy faeces. Some-times the sensory pores on the head become enlarged and filled with pus. Mostly affects cichlids.

It says: It's caused by an internal parasite called Hexamita that normally affects only weakened fish.

Treatement: Prescription drugs; Metronidazole or Di-metronidazole at a rate of 50mg per 4.5 litres. Mix with water prior to use. Repeat the treatment after 3 days.

Hope this helps..

Megs&Scar
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 15/4/2011 19:23
Re: Hole through fish!!?? #16
Thanks for that, really appreciate it! Unfortunately Metronidazole is very difficult to get hold of. The only way I could get it is through a vet, and I'd have to get a consultation first. I work 7 days on/7days off and I won't be off work now until next Thursday. By then if the treatment hasn't worked the infection will be much further on and treatment is expensive (?80 for metronidazole, plus the vet's fees). Octozin is the closest I can get (I think it's di-metronidazole and salt basically anyway).
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 15/4/2011 21:47
Re: Hole through fish!!?? #17
Check your pms when you have a moment ...
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 16/4/2011 21:25
Re: Hole through fish!!?? #18
I'm afraid it's a mixed bag - some bad news, some good:

The hole now looks bigger (wider) on both sides. It's quite shocking to be honest, however it isn't as raw (pink) as it was and the swelling around the middle of the fish has gone.

Behavior has also improved with the fish hiding and reacting better. Previously if I moved a rock there was no sense of urgency to get out of the way which made catching very easy. Tonight I moved a rock and the fish shot out and under another rock.

I also fed a spirulina tab to gauge interest in food and response was very good, I just need to take care not to overfeed. I think I'm going to continue with the Octozin anti-parasite meds and keep fingers crossed.

I have a question then. I'm fairly sure that the fish has a parasite. Should I dose the main display tank with meds too?
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 23/4/2011 15:14
Re: Hole through fish!!?? #19
Sadly the fish died last night, it was riddled with holes :(

But with death comes life, I found 7 or 8 eggs in a crack between some slates and an angry-looking female Julidochromis Ornatus guarding them. After a while I noticed some tiny babies (presumably a previous brood) clinging upside down to the rocks around the same area. These are fish I haven't kept until this year so as ever I'm pleased to see something new occuring in my tank. They will be transferred to a fry tank once the second batch of eggs has hatched. I will probably also move the pair with them as apparently this helps to maintain the bond between them and they seem like great parents too.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 23/4/2011 15:44
Re: Hole through fish!!?? #20
Sorry you lost your fish just hope it wasnt TB

but good news about the julies though I wish you luck catching those tiny fry - I spent DAYS the other week catching a few multi fry which didn't have the sense to dart into shells when I was moving them all to a new tank
[url=http://www.bigfishcam