• Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 18/3/2011 20:16
Re: How many fish in my 120L Tank? #11
Quote:

angelah wrote:
My best course is not to say anything at all, whatever it may be, because I'll be wrong.
I am sure you can all cope without my help.

Angela

I think that's a bit childish, Noodle was just trying to avoid someone getting the wrong end of the stick which it can be easy to do when different answers come up in a thread.
Anonymous  
Re: How many fish in my 120L Tank? #12
Come on now ladies, I know its a super full moon tomorrow but can we wait till then for the strange behaviour to start. Thanks Big big big Smile .
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 18/3/2011 23:04
Re: How many fish in my 120L Tank? #13
Ahhh, the lunar perigee (the super moon) due tomorrow. OH has been banging on about this for ages but pic from the last event, 1992 was it (?) here - it's certainly big! He is out photographing as I type!

http://www.saytoall.com/639-supermoon ... treme-supermoon-march-19/

As for stocking, a lot of people I'm sure will use their own basis. Not sure how long your tank has been set up for but newer tanks need less stock than mature tanks of course as filters catch up and the tank generally 'settles' to provide natural food that some fish need.

The maturity of the tank, usually classed as 12 months in min) will have an effect on comments below. In mature tanks you can sometime get away with adding ‘a few more’.

I’d agree with Noodle here on initial stock though

To start with most people tend to stick to a very rough calculation of 2.5cm of fish per 4.5 litres of water. This is based on the adult size of the fish. TBH though, it's rather antiquated now, as stock will be driven by a number of factors including filters (the upgrading of) and water change regime. Also this old formula doesn't work with any fish bigger than 5-6cm really as you have (as these need more swimming room and create much more waste) but it’s certainly useful as a starting off point with smaller fish.

If keeping small shoaling fish, FK generally recommends stocking 6 fish first, waiting a month to ensure filter catch up and all is well, then adding further fish spaced similarly apart, ongoing.

After that, stocking tends to be related to several factors, i.e. weekly water params – are all levels good?, how fast does nitrate increase each week in between the water changes (if it goes up by more than 10ppm, that can be an indication of overstocking) but just generally allowing the fish lot’s of space and room. How often do you like getting the buckets out LOL?

120 litres tank - 10% for substrate/decor = 108 litres water

Existing stock have maximum adult sizes as follows:

Gold Spotted Plec = 30cm
Rainbows x 2 = 28cm
Cardinal Tetra x 9 = 45cm
Total: 103 cm of adult stock

Existing Tank suits:
108/4.5 = 24
24 x 2.5cm
Total: 60 cm of fish length in total.

A number of variables apply though as stated above, depending on maturity of tank.

You can play around with these figures/stats of course, depending on what you decide to re-home or perhaps have as new stock. To be safe, if you decide to rehome the bigger fish, just apply the above formula when stocking with the smaller fish you favour to ensure the tank can cope and the fish have enough room initially.

As an easy reference (I use this too!), 6 small shoaling fish (5cm max) per every 60 litres is usually a good bench mark to start with, gives them room and easy water changes for the keeper in a newish tank! Hope that helps
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Critch Critch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Deep End
  • Posted on: 18/3/2011 23:32
Re: How many fish in my 120L Tank? #14
Yeh but the moon Is getting further away so thats no excuse @!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad!
I dont keep fish i keep water the fish are only there for decoration
Anonymous  
Re: How many fish in my 120L Tank? #15
Its getting closer until tomorrow night then it starts to move away as dawn approaches.
fishfins fishfins
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 19/3/2011 10:07
Re: How many fish in my 120L Tank? #16
Good job that was a big big big smile Jag
psbresner psbresner
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Glamorgan