« 1 2 (3)
Ch1998 Ch1998
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 15/3/2011 20:14
Re: Name my snail #21
guppies arent exactly known for longlivity, but if you had it from young it should happily live another year, but if you bought him at a late adult stage i expect your right
Resized Image
nathanayers nathanayers
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Somerset
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/3/2011 20:18
Re: Name my snail #22
Its like buying figher fish, you just cant tell how old they are, I would like to be able to buy a baby fighter for my small tank
Ch1998 Ch1998
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 15/3/2011 20:20
Re: Name my snail #23
you could try to get in contact with a breeder, he may be able to sell you a young one if your lucky
Resized Image
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 15/3/2011 21:04
Re: Name my snail #24
Hi nathan

Quote:
Plans so far, move my 2 Rainbows in, moonlight gourami, 2 bristlenose plecs, 3 Khuli loaches and 2 snails.

Would be wise just to confirm pH and GH for these fishies before we comment on suitability as your profile is empty at the mo.

Quote:
I'm not sure whether to put my neon/cardinal tetras in (I hear when they die they become poisonous)

Thats a strange one, where did you hear that? Not toxic unless they are carrying a disease (just like any other fish) and the other fish nibble at a dead specimen passing on a disease.

Quote:
And I dont think my Guppy has long left, Ive had it for about 6 months now, Ive heared guppies dont live very long?

Normal lifespan of a guppy is up to 3 years but poor stock recently seems to be reducing this a bit. These need harder more acidic water as opposed to the other fish you plan.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
nathanayers nathanayers
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Somerset
  • Posted on: 16/3/2011 7:48
Re: Name my snail #25
I heared that off the person I bought my tank from.
But as for the other things I phoned the waterboard yesterday to find out the exact details. My Ph is an average of 7.9 (but this drops to between 7.4/7.6 with me, I hear its because of the bogwood) And my Carbonate hardness is 40
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/3/2011 9:56
Re: Name my snail #26
Hi Nathan,

You need to know your General Hardness (gH). Carbonate Hardness (kH) is not what is meant when discussing a fish's requirements for hardness. You also need to know what units hardness is expressed in by your water board as it varies and may need to be converted either to ppm or German Degrees to be in fishkeeper's language.

As hardness (both kH and gH) can be affected by substrate and decor, the water board's figures are a general guide, but you do need to know the actual figures for your tank as if it's changing in there you need to be aware of it.

The API gH/kH combined test kit is good and about £8 on eBay. Lasts for years.

HTH
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/3/2011 11:29
Re: Name my snail #27
Just to follow up: your pH is actually too high for the Bristlenose Plecs, Kuhli Loaches and Moonlight Gourami and your water is likely to be too hard for them too.

The guppies should be fine, and the Rainbowfish are probably OK, but knowing exactly what type they are would help.
nathanayers nathanayers
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Somerset
  • Posted on: 16/3/2011 20:10
Re: Name my snail #28
Right just bought a test kit off ebay, mayaswell test.
But the fish I do have seem very healthy and happy, it feels a bit of a shame to move them into a new big tank, the 90L has really matured now, but they do need room to grow.
nathanayers nathanayers
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Somerset
  • Posted on: 18/3/2011 18:11
Re: Name my snail #29
Righty ho!
Kit came through:
GH: 4 Drops 71.6
KH: 2 Drops 35.8
Colour in Kit appeared seethrough compared to API amoonia/nitrate...etc.
But I could make a clear distinction instantly