Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 2/3/2011 9:48
Rena 40 Filter-how can I stop the noise ? #1
Hi there

Am losing the will to live with this filter...

Got a 30 litre tank April 2010 and the filter came with it. In January I moved my fish into my new 90 litre and decided to use this as a quarantine tank for new fish, got ten minnows (white cloud mountain). That was Eight weeks ago, one was dead last night which I am assuming was not related to filter (strange thing was I lost a much loved loach from my other tank the day before, coincidence ?).

About the time I got the minnows I started having problems with my filter, it was making a clanking noise and my nitrites started going thro roof so I replaced the dratted thing for another Rena 40 so I could reuse the media (struggled to find one, I don't think they are very popular).

The problem that i am having relates to some pouch/sachet type things that you use to keep the water clear - API Cystal, they go in a space just below the outlet. For some reason now they rise up within that space and rise up to just under the outlet - this makes a constant (and really annoying) vibrating noise. This did happen with the old filter the last couple of months I had it too. I can only assume that Api have altered the size slightly. What I have been doing is putting a couple of plant weights on top of pouch, this worked for a few weeks- but should I be using them ?

The weights are no longer working and the noise is constant, could I put a bit of foam on top - any other ideas ?

Does anyone know of a replacement filter that is similar that I coiuld reuse media in ? Have got a stingray 50 somewhere but it seemed a bit big for tank when I got it last year, sure media is different as well.

Any help much appreciated

Water is unusually a bit cloudy today as well, did use a new gravel cleaner last night which seemed to really suck it up tho'
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 2/3/2011 14:33
Re: Rena 40 Filter-how can I stop the noise ? #2
Have had to take the API crystal cube/pouch out - the noise is driving me bonkers!

I tried putting a bit of filter foam in, but filter seemed to stop working.

It is supposed to make the water 'crystal clear', is it necessary ? they are quite dear, about £5.50 for 2 and only last 3 weeks each - do I need something to keep water clear - it is looking a bit murky at the mo !
alysonpeaches alysonpeaches
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/3/2011 18:04
Re: Rena 40 Filter-how can I stop the noise ? #3
A few years ago I had a Rena tank with a built in Rena filter and it used those crystal things, but mine was called rena bio cube or aqua cube and it was 50 litres. The compartment at the back was all the filter. It had a powerhead that drew the water in through a large sponge and there were some bio balls, but as far as I remember the crystal things had a little place to fit, there was some sort of frame that they went in. Can you put some pictures up of your tank with the filtration compartment and I can see if its the same as my old one.

In the meantime, would a nylon stocking full of ceramic media hold the crystal thing down?
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 2/3/2011 18:31
Re: Rena 40 Filter-how can I stop the noise ? #4
Just had a check, the one I used was Rena crystal, API crystal might be different. Rena crystal as far as I know was carbon, which you dont have to run all the time. The API crystal is some sort of resins that absorb ammonia and nitrite.

If you could find out what is in the pouch and take a picture of your filter, then we could probably tell you if its necessary and if it is, how to keep it down.

My previous thread

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... =&topic_id=20468&forum=14
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 2/3/2011 22:15
Re: Rena 40 Filter-how can I stop the noise ? #5
Hi again Alyson

My hubby has dealt with it for now.. Filter had stopped working when I got home tonight (impellor had dropped out into casing, appears to be magnetic). Anyway hubby has put new sachet in, and slotted a plant weight across it to hold it down, there are some slots in filter (no idea what for) and it has gone thro' nicely. Is working fine now, but think I need to be gettting another filter up and running cos not impressed with this one.

I will upload pics when I can (hubby or son will!).

Many thanks for your help

Ella x
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 3/3/2011 16:10
Re: Rena 40 Filter-how can I stop the noise ? #6
I took the built in filter out of my Rena, which was a bit nerve racking as it was siliconed in. It came out eventually and I went round the (empty) tank with the silicone. I then bought a eheim aquaball and it was fine.
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 3/3/2011 21:26
Re: Rena 40 Filter-how can I stop the noise ? #7
That's good to hear Alyson ! Sounds really tricky though ?

The filter is working fine, and that awful noise has stopped...

Water has cleared, filter had stopped working yesterday.

My nitrite has a tint - to be expected really.

My seachem ammonia alert arrived today, and is in my 90 litre tank.

Just ordered a new test kit off e-bay (the api one that a lot of people recommend) as my ammonia test ran out today

Fish all seem okay
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 4/3/2011 9:32
Re: Rena 40 Filter-how can I stop the noise ? #8
I must admit that since I have had the ammonia alert I havent used my ammonia test, but its only been a week. I will have a test today just to check. I use the API one and it is very good. I had another one a few years ago (Maybe tetra?) and I didnt find it as accurate.

I do remember the filter thing being tricky but once it gave way it wasnt too bad. It was like a false wall to the back of the tank. I used a stanley knife and blade and a thin palette knife. I dont have that tank anymore I sold it a couple of years ago.
Anna Robinson Anna Robinson
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 9/3/2011 14:29
Re: Rena 40 Filter-how can I stop the noise ? #9
Ella, I consult for Mars Fishcare (Rena)- do you want me to pass this problem on to Rena customer services? They are much more knowledgeable than me about the mechanical stuff. Just PM me if you do or post here and I'll get it sorted for you.

Rena Crystal and API Crystal are the same, as it's all Mars. The name varies depending on what the product is designed for, so if you're using it in the Rena filter, the packaging will show the Rena logo to make it easier.

Crystal is a blend of ion-exchange resins, organic scavenger resins, and high-porosity activated carbon, so a sort of 'super-duper' carbon. The one that removes ammonia, nitrite and nitrate is Aqua-Detox (old name Nitra Zorb).
Consultant, Mars Fishcare.Resized Image
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 9/3/2011 15:14
Re: Rena 40 Filter-how can I stop the noise ? #10
Hi Anna

I have sent a pm, many thanks for your response to my post.

My filter is working fine with the plant weight in, and the
water is lovely and clear!

Many thanks

Ella