pc566 pc566
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/2/2011 23:23
disaster leaving a dilemma #1
right, i have 2 goldfish ive had for 3 years, one is a bit bigger then the other but they are still both pretty small so not sure on their real age. they were in a nice big tank during transit from the south up to yorkshire and the tank broke. so i managed to save them in a tub and got a cheap 15 gallon tank and have them in that now.
i cant afford anything bigger then a 20 gallon tank at the moment, what with being an impoverished student. they have plenty of room as far as i can tell in the 15g but if you more experienced guys think different then i'll go for the 20 gallon untill i can get something bigger.

also, i've always just had those 2 by them selves and it's been a bit bland, what other types of fish would be able to go with goldfish?

sorry about the long one but on a side note, a friend up here found a small biorb tank, i think its only about 3 gallons so i told him it wasnt appropriate for anything really but told him i'd find out more for him.

thanks alot guys, really appreciate any help.
Anonymous  
Re: disaster leaving a dilemma #2
I'm not a goldie expert or coldwater so i'll leave that .. but as for the biorb, Shrimps. I'm actually waiting to see a decent setup with sold ground covering moss, tall vallis round the air pump thing (whatever it is) and loads of little cherry shrimps running around.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 1/2/2011 23:51
Re: disaster leaving a dilemma #3
Hi

TBH, given the tank size and stock you already have, I wouldn't recommend any more cold water fish as you are stocked fully (more so actually already)

Have looky here and the linkies, as they say

Fancy/ Goldy Care & Tank Size Guide:
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... -size-life-expectancy.htm

?Keeping Goldfish the right way? Guide:
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_12/keeping-goldfish.htm

Mmmm, as LB has mentioned, biorbs are not really suitable for fish given the lack of surface area and lack of proper filtration really. Do you know what size it is? They do a 15 litre, 30 litre, then 60 litre and I think they have done a 100+ litre recently (?)

Shrimps would be perhaps do-able in a 30 litre (heated), given the tank water pH and GH readings suit (?), but I wouldn't suggest anything smaller than that.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
pc566 pc566
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 1/2/2011 23:59
Re: disaster leaving a dilemma #4
great, thanks for the replies, ill go get the 20g tank tomorrow morning. my other tank cracked in the car on the way up, it was huge, was one my grandfather used to hatch his koi in, i never bothered to measure it though.
hopefully after my birthday this month i'll be able to get a much larger tank so i can get some more fish, i was thinking 1 or 2 goldfish (not the fancy ones) and a couple of snails just for variety.

i'll let my mate know about the biorb, if it's viable to get a few shrimp to put in it then he'd like that, to be honest a couple of snails would probably make him happy.

cheers guys
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 2/2/2011 0:08
Re: disaster leaving a dilemma #5
Go easy on adding normal goldfish (comets) even if you upgrade given existing stock! Pond fish really, not suited to tanks

Common Goldfish:
40 gallons (48 US gallons, 180 litres) for the first fish with an extra 12 gallons (14 US gallons, 55 litres) for each extra fish. The tank needs to have a minimum length of 4 feet (120cm) to allow swimming room. Single tail goldfish are more suited to a pond when they are near full size to give them swimming room.

Fancy Goldfish:
30 gallons (36 US gallons, 140 litres) for the first fish with an extra 10 gallons (12 US gallons, 45 litres) for each extra fish. The tank needs to have a minimum length of 3 feet to allow swimming room.

That would be a big birthday spend but a fab one if you have the money and the room!
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 2/2/2011 10:47
Re: disaster leaving a dilemma #6
If you I buying a new tank I whole heartedly recomend an AquaEL 100. It gives you 200 Litres for only ?149!! It also comes with a (not big enough)internal filter and a 150w heater. Certainly the best value tank I could find when I was upgrading for my chaps a couple of weeks ago. Google it there is a number of suppliers.

JON
Mister_S Mister_S
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 2/2/2011 12:40
Re: disaster leaving a dilemma #7
PC, you can make the fish's (and your) lives more interesting by addign a fine/medium mix gravel substrate and planting real plants (see here). They will dig 'em up, but will add interest for the fish when you are not there, and in between meal times. Perhaps you'll find these two fish are actually all you need as they grow on.

Shame your tank cracked on the journey. (Hindsight I know) it's always best to carry the goldies in dustbins or tubs (or similar) with a lid (stop spills) which doesn't give flat sides so they can't bash themselves, not full of water though, and maybe a battery powered (or 12 volt) air pump and airstone for the journey. Tanks shouldn't be transported with water in them - they are not designed for it (as you found to your cost ).

AFAIK we don't have a caresheet on travel. I'll have a word . This thread is the best I found with some good points in it.
Latest: ...Bara Brith supply chain FAIL Again