« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 3/1/2011 23:21
Re: Apple snail information #31
Most keepers just dispose of the eggs TBH. If the eggs are fertilised they should hatch within a few weeks or so. They need to be kept out of the tank water but humid and warm. Common for the outer eggs in the casing to fail but life in the inner ones more likely. You may need to break the casing to assist freedom but take a look at the web link in the very first thread in this post.

Very good advice there on breeding and raising any young
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
CherryMonster CherryMonster
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/1/2011 17:26
Re: Apple snail information #32
well i have no idea what sex my snails are, but i started out with 7 snails (4 in large tank, 3 in smaller tank) they were 1cm in diameter each when i got them in november, now the biggest of them are 7-8cm diameter. they have produced hundreds (if not thousands) of baby snails between them. i have noticed that when they are up to 2cm the shell is black with light brown spots all over, then they turn white until they get to about 5cm and once that size they gradually turn purple from white. also noticed that they breed more prolifically in a well lit tank, my bigger tank is very wel lit and there are up to 2-300 baby snails in there at any time. the smaller tank is quite poorly lit and there are about 40-50 baby snails in there.
cecooper cecooper
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cornwall
  • Posted on: 5/1/2011 15:17
Re: Apple snail information #33
HI all there is now a second sack. Anyone able to guestimate how many there may in the two. I am going to destroy one of the clutches but not sure which yet. as for the babies that survive i have no where for them to go but into a bag and to an aquarium shop and i hope they will take them. Again if anyone wants them please let me know, i will ship for you if someone tells me how :)
cecooper cecooper
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cornwall
  • Posted on: 5/1/2011 15:32
Re: Apple snail information #34
Ha here they both are i think? lol :) im useless with camera stuff.

Attach file:

jpg  (471.40 KB)
12545_4d248eeaec3c3.jpg 4000X3000 px
RJS2503 RJS2503
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gwyedd
  • Posted on: 4/5/2012 20:35
Re: Apple snail information #35
Just found these in my tank, what shall i do?

Attach file:

jpg  (148.98 KB)
14925_4fa42f9145e81.jpg 869X725 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/5/2012 20:56
Re: Apple snail information #36
That depends on whether you want to try and raise them or not. If you do, go to the first message in this topic for a link to information on how to breed and care for them. If not, remove the eggs and destroy them.
SO19Firearms SO19Firearms
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 16/10/2012 16:26
Re: Apple snail information #37
Looks like Apple snail imports are set to be banned in the EU :(
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 16/10/2012 20:17
Re: Apple snail information #38
I know. Sad isn't it From Nov 2012 possibly.

It won't deal with existing *normal* keepers who already house the critters and get a clutch of eggs, but all of these will die out eventually I suppose if no imports occur. Trying to breed in existing gene pool will get poorer and poorer.

Quote Maidenhead Aquatics - just for info

Quote:
A population of snails has been found in the Catalonia region of Spain, and as a result the EU Commission has drafted legislation banning the import and breeding of all members of the Genus Pomacea, which includes the familiar tropical Apple Snails.

Unfortunately Apple Snails already have a reputation for invasiveness, having made themselves at home in both Hawaii and Taiwan where they are a serious pest to food crops. This ban could come into effect at any time, but the current thinking is that it is expected around the end of November 2012. After this time the Apple Snails that you see in your local Maidenhead store cannot be restocked once they are sold. The expectation is that, over time, the number of Pomacea being sold will reduce and eventually halt altogether, thereby eradicating the risk of wild populations establishing themselves in the EU.

Existing stock, whilst safe and OK gets an ultimate life sentence ultimately...

Quote:
Provided there is no evidence in official surveillance of Pomacea reaching the wider environment, this will allow existing stocks to be traded and then maintained under contained conditions (e.g. in fish tanks) until the end of their natural life and avoiding the need for more stringent action, such as an immediate prohibition on further sales.

Straight bananas, gender neutral insurance (from this Dec 2012) ladies - watch your car insurance go up when you renew but better pensions now when you retire and OK, lack of apple snails in the LFS.

Anyone fancy a nerite perhaps (temps permitting) ?
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 16/10/2012 20:36
Re: Apple snail information #39
Invasive species have damaged habitat for indigenous plants and animals all over the world. I'm sorry but if keepers weren't so damn irresponsible there wouldn't have been a problem and a ban would not have been necessary.

Incidently how many are imported? They breed very easily.

JON
Resized Image
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 16/10/2012 20:43
Re: Apple snail information #40
I don't have any stats on that jon, but I have mentioned to mods tonight that we should perhaps add a caveat to the apple snail care sheet here just to mention this. I've been watching this for a little while.

No official date yet....we all wait still.

Yup, keepers letting pets go in the wild. They don't give a rats a**e about how such actions affect other local/indiginous wildlife do they