« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »
groggy groggy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/5/2010 20:56
Re: Apple snail information #21
are apple snails able to live in a new tank?
i have been offered some but wasnt sure if they were pests or not?
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 3/5/2010 22:16
Re: Apple snail information #22
They're not pests but they will need a cycled tank the same as a fish would They can get quite big, there is a link at the beginning of this thread which gives more info on them
It's Not Just A Fish
Anonymous  
Re: Apple snail information #23
Like any other aquatic animals apple snails need specific requirements in water quality, not least the calcium content. This means the water required for them should be rich in calcium, and a high PH. PH should be around 8.5 and GH should be 12- 18 degrees of hardness at least. This is required for the shell to grow properly, if the water is soft the shell will become weak and the snail will not survive. Temperature needs to be at best 82C but no less than 78C. If cared for properly they can grow to a diameter of over 5", so a big tank is required. 15" tall minimum and 30" long, they only require water twice the depth of the shell, but they also require space above that free of water so that the snail can leave the water to lay its eggs. A tight fitting lid is essential, as snails can get out of the tank by pushing up on loose fitting covers. They can do severe damage to their shells when they hit the floor. A good diet of vegetation should be supplied regularly.

Attach file:

jpg  (2.69 KB)
7567_4bdf48d616da5.jpg 135X90 px
denise78 denise78
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 27/10/2010 2:38
Re: Apple snail information #24
my apple snail has algae growing on his shell, is this safe for him or should i wipe it off???
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 27/10/2010 12:26
Re: Apple snail information #25
He'll be fine denise

If you do fancy giving him a bit of a polish though a brand new, clean pan scourer or sponge (use very very gently to avoid any damage to the shell) will tidy him up a bit!
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
denise78 denise78
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 27/10/2010 13:20
Re: Apple snail information #26
thanks again violet!!!

gary (as) is in with arnold (back moor) and woody (goldfish). he is fascinating to watch!

denise
CherryMonster CherryMonster
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 2/1/2011 23:19
Re: Apple snail information #27
i have apple snails in my tank. are they meant to be purple?
cecooper cecooper
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cornwall
  • Posted on: 3/1/2011 15:35
Re: Apple snail information #28
HI all, i'm pretty new to the fish tank game and i'm at a loss. My Apple snails have bred and now i have a moral dilema. Do i destroy the sack now or do i let it hatch and let them take their chances. I have three snails. You are probably thinking "well duh if you did not want babies why buy three snails" to which i answer i did not two were given to me as they were being killed by my friends clown loach. I agreed to take them so they would survive.
I dont want to kill them as it's cruel but i dont know enough about them to know what else i can do.
If anyone wants snails i am willing to try to ship them to you (just pay the postage) but i'm not sure how that would work either.
If anyone has any ideas i would be greatful. I also have baby mollies so i must have a great habitat with no dieases or nothing so far. (Touch wood lol).
HELP!!!!!
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 3/1/2011 16:39
Re: Apple snail information #29
Hello CherryMonster and cecooper - welcome to both of you from FK

Apple snails come in a variety of colours. You need both male and females in the tank though to raise any offspring. Females wil lay eggs regardless but they won't hatch unless fertilised. Do you know the sex of them?

Care sheet here:
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... sheet.php?caresheetID=118

Member Penny wrote this (not myself as it states) so she takes full credit I just amended the size as they can get up to 15cm.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
cecooper cecooper
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cornwall
  • Posted on: 3/1/2011 17:57
Re: Apple snail information #30
Hmm definatly have one male and what i believe is two females. My larger apple snail george is always stuck to the other two at the moment, and sure enough after days of being stuck to one for hours and i do mean hours at a time, an egg sack has appeared. The one that has laid the egg sack though was stuck to george about a week ago. Boy do those things mate for hours.
Thanks for the quick reply, i'm still at a loss as too what to do with them though.