MossmanX MossmanX
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/11/2010 9:29
Total sudden crypt melt! #1
Hi All,

Yesterday I noticed ALL of my ~10 crypt plants are melting. The tank has been stable for a good few months now, regular weekly 50% water changes, and no problems at all. The odd one leaf has melted in the past, but never like this.

The only thing different was this weekend I didn't do a water change I just topped up the tank with about 5% dechlor water. I didn't warm it up, with it being such a small amount. Could that have done it?

No other obvious changes that I can think of that would cause it.

Should I be really worried? Do I need to remove the melting plants to prevent the fish (Red cherry shrimp and pigmy rasbora) from being adversley affected?

Help!
I learnt this, thanks FK Forum! ~ http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm

Fish are people too
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 23/11/2010 9:39
Re: Total sudden crypt melt! #2
I doubt the temperature change would have done it but 5% top up indicates a lot of evaporation which when using tap water could have boosted the hardness of the water and even altered the PH.

I'd take the melting crypts out just to be sure they don't foul the water and test the water parameters. Particularly Nitrate, PH, Gh and KH.
MossmanX MossmanX
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 23/11/2010 18:22
Re: Total sudden crypt melt! #3
ok will do. Just got back in from work, and they're all just a heap on the floor of the tank now.

The Java fern(s) seem to be holding up ok.

Will re-post with water params, but I'd be suprised if anything had changed as it has all been so stable, but there must be a reason.

Thanks for that.
I learnt this, thanks FK Forum! ~ http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm

Fish are people too
MossmanX MossmanX
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 23/11/2010 18:50
Re: Total sudden crypt melt! #4
Right, all crypts removed. Couldn't avoid making a bit of a mess.

All the roots seemed to be in quite strong. I've left one small plant in, just to see what happens (if it grows back)

Readings:
pH7.6 (no change)
KH 2 (previously 3-4)
GH 4 (previously 6)

So there is a slight drop in readings. Does this put the fish in any danger? Anything I can do to prevent any further damage?

Also - I'd not have noticed if the crypts hadn't melted. Are they a good plant to keep in the tank from that perspective (i.e. a canary in the mine role - they melt when there's a problem)

...I think that's 3 questions....

Thanks

Fish are people too
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 23/11/2010 20:30
Re: Total sudden crypt melt! #5
That's quite a dramatic drop to happen over a week. I wouldn't expect it to do any harm to the fish or shrimp in the short term but you shouldn't let it continue. If the KH drops much lower the PH could suddenly crash and that is bad.

Double check the test results and also check your tap water so you know where you stand. It's possible with the heavy rain recently that your tap water is different to how it has been in which case you might need to add some minerals when you do a water change.

Assuming the tap water has not drastically softened regular water changes should sort the problem out and stop it re-occurring.

As to the last question, no crypts aren't the aquarium canary, just a pain in the backside from time to time
MossmanX MossmanX
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 25/11/2010 13:47
Re: Total sudden crypt melt! #6
Hmm the water board do admit to use various different water sources around my area (West Yorks), from resevoirs, rivers and the like, so the sources can change and the water parameters with it.

It was just so strange that literally all the plants went at the same time, directly after that 5% water change.

Thanks for your advice on that, much appreciated.

I need to find another plant type then...stupid plants, and they were just out of Warranty too!

Fish are people too
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators Registered Users Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 25/11/2010 17:50
Re: Total sudden crypt melt! #7
If you've not already binned them try putting them in a container with some water and leaving them near a window or such like. Crypts often come back from the dead (aptly, considering their name!) so you may well be able to keep them if you give them a bit of tlc away from your main tank
It's Not Just A Fish
MossmanX MossmanX
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 26/11/2010 10:04
Re: Total sudden crypt melt! #8
Oh hi Suey2, no they got binned, with some force too (chucked to the bottom of the wheely bin!)

I did leave one little crypt in the tank, as it only had a few leaves, they've all melted, but guess what - it's growing back nicely now.

Stupid plants!

I've still got a java fern and java moss, which has exploded and a load of moss balls bobbing about. It looks a bit bare so I might have a look at the LFS this weekend and see if there is a delecate little plant I can use in my nano tank.

Thanks both for your help!

Fish are people too
alysonpeaches alysonpeaches
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 11/12/2010 13:30
Re: Total sudden crypt melt! #9
Shortly after me getting my crypt it seemed to shed all its leaves and then grew back better than ever. Someone suggested to me I had buried the crown too deeply. How long have you had your crypts?
MossmanX MossmanX
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 12/12/2010 21:03
Re: Total sudden crypt melt! #10
a few months now. They had shed the odd leaf in the past, but been ok for over a couple of months.

I left one in there, it is growing back now.

Fish are people too