Dixie Dixie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/11/2010 19:43
Aiptasia in new setup #1
Sorry if this is old hat to some. Got a brand new setup using a TL550 (second hand tank). 3 weeks into curing cycle, with live rock rubble in back and 8kg live rock on non-live substrate. No Nh3/4 spike, yet. Water quality seems good. However half a dozen sweet little anemones are popping their dear little heads out of the holes in the rock which are definitely Aiptasia. I have read how these are bad news and how to combat them with peppermint shrimps of Aiptasia X - which involves zapping them with a syringe.
My question is - as the setup is so new and there are no other livestock present (apart from anything else that might be lurking in the rock), is there an easier/better way to deal with the Aiptasia? I would try to photograph them, but they are v small and my camera skills are not that brilliant.
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers Caresheets
  • Posted on: 11/11/2010 20:14
Re: Aiptasia in new setup #2
If it was just one or two I would say turn the rock upside down and bury them under the sand. This worked for me, and 12 months later still no sign, but as you have so many then you'll have to resort to peps or aiptasia-x. Is it just the one rock they're on? If so you might be just as well to remove that rock and leave it out in the air to kill them off... cruel as it sounds. It is a shame doing that as you lose the rest of the life in the rock but it is best to get rid as quickly as possible IMO. I've seen tanks overrun with them and they kill your other corals too.

P.S. I would only advise leaning it in air if you have no other corals on the rock. Put it in a bucket with a few mm of water in the bottom and any critters that emerge can be placed back in the tank (if you want to keep them). Be aware that this may also cause problems with the cycle so get another piece (cured with quick transfer) to replace it with.
Dixie Dixie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 11/11/2010 20:32
Re: Aiptasia in new setup #3
Thanks so much, Electrogear. I was exaggerating. So far there are three on two pieces of rock, so I could try the upside down in the sand trick. I'm a little concerned that there may be more in the rock rubble in the heater chamber, which may breed happily away and then strike out....
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers Caresheets
  • Posted on: 11/11/2010 21:30
Re: Aiptasia in new setup #4
It's a bit of a battle when you see more than one or two pieces. I'd get some apitasia-x or peps if I were you.
Dixie Dixie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 12/11/2010 10:03
Re: Aiptasia in new setup #5
Thanks again. I'll take your advice. Too early for shrimp, so I'll zap wirh Aiptasia X.
nattyp nattyp
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 23/12/2010 14:12
Re: Aiptasia in new setup #6
this has really helped me i also have a tl 550 setup and aiptaisia x has done exactly what it says on the tin
Dixie Dixie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 29/12/2010 18:16
Re: Aiptasia in new setup #7
Hi all,(or both)
My setup is now 9 weeks old. Coral producing lote of weird and wonderful flora - and some fauna! Aiptasia all "X"ed. The sexy shrimp and invisible pep shrimp - who I hope is ok - have been joined by a pair of Percs and two hermits who are obviously in love as they go everywhere together. All seem remarkably well so I'm tempted to get some more fish. What think electrogear?
Hows youre 550 nattyp?
Happy new year, etc,
Dixie
nattyp nattyp
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 2/1/2011 22:00
Re: Aiptasia in new setup #8
My 550 is doing fine did get quite a bloom of brown slime all over everything but put 5 turbos in and they have quickly done a great job, more live rock going in soon and then more fish hopefully. Happy new year to all
jamielloyd jamielloyd
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Durham
  • Posted on: 4/1/2011 1:30
Re: Aiptasia in new setup #9
glad its turned out ok :)

i had 100's of them at one point.. i dont rate anything other than digging a big hole where they stand! but thats just from my experience.. ive got a 50+ kg of dead rock in the garage to show that aiptasia beat me!
Dixie Dixie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 6/1/2011 12:32
Re: Aiptasia in new setup #10
Hi all. HNY. My Boyu 550 setup now has a couple of elect. blue Damsels joining the Percs. Clean up crew comprises a pair of shrimps and a couple of hermits. A few days ago I noticed that my live corals were looking a bit sad. Despite weekly 10% water change and regular testing, I found a v sudden ph spike. Down from 8.1 to below 7 overnight.
Instant appl. of Reef Buffer has brought the ph back up, so I hope the corals will approve.
Can anyone identify the wee beasties that have hatched out of the live rock for me?
They are small, (1cm long), amber yellow, with bony or spiky body and a pair of prominent antennae. Caught one sliding along the glass on its belly - seems legless - perhaps a nudibranch? Rather cute really, but are they harmless and will they try to take over?
Best to all,
Dixie