nith nith
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/11/2010 13:46
Whitespot #1
Hi guys,
I have a orca 550 that I set up in Jan. Things were going great and I was sticking to 20% water changes until about a month ago when I blew my back out and was unable to lift the RO canisters. Only managed to do small water change once in the last month until weekend when I was able to buy more RO and did a 50% water change to compensate. Anyway I now have what seems to be a whitespot problem thats claimed my royalo gramma and one of my clowns and my other clown is definitely infected.

What causes whitespot and can it be treated with dosing tank like my freshwater tank?

Someone recommended a UV Steriliser which I have ordered. Will this work? I never want to lose another fish again except to old age. It was heart breaking which is why I will try anything to prevent this from happening.
Anonymous  
Re: Whitespot #2
sorry to hear about your losses, i have actually lost a gramma and a clown to ich about a month back. it's not as simple as just ordering a uv steriliser, it depends on the wattage of the uv bulb and the contact time your tank water has with the bulb whether it will be of any benefit for e.g. if it's a bulb under 5w and the flow rate is high through the device it will be next to useless, so details of that would be helpful. you need a QT so you can medicate your other clown, if you don't have one and no plans on getting one you could try a freshwater dip for around 3-4 minutes, this may not solve the problem but it is worth a shot. also for the future a cleaner shrimp would be beneficial as it can help get rid of ich, also clowns like tangs are very prone to this type of disease.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators Registered Users Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 10/11/2010 21:24
Re: Whitespot #3
I am by no means a marine expert but Howard posted this link a while back in answer to a question about whitespot, it seems pretty comprehensive so you might find it worth a read

WHITESPOT LINK

HTH
It's Not Just A Fish
nith nith
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/11/2010 22:39
Re: Whitespot #4
Thanks for the responses. The UV unit I purchased is a 10W unit with the ability to regulate flow.

It seems my Other clown is clearly infected but not as badly. I also have a cardinal and a purple firefish.

Unfortunately I do not have the resources to setup a quarantine tank and the other solutions are not feasible given the number of inverts I have ( I do have a cleaner shrimp)

So am I likely to lose all my other fish?
Anonymous  
Re: Whitespot #5
It's very possible, can you not dip the clown in freshwater in a bucket for 3 - 4 minutes?? It may not work but it's better than doing nothing.

UV sounds ok, will help take some parasites out of the water column.