maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/10/2010 20:35
Problems with 2 Orandas #1
Hi,

I have a 200 litre tank with 3 Orandas in it, they are around 6 months old and have been growing happily with no problems.

Yesterday I cleaned the tank out and installed an Eheim 2217 canister filter along with a 48" air curtain, a couple of new ornaments and a few silk plants (they ate & destroyed all the live ones and were dirtying up the tank previously) - all of which were thoroughly cleaned and scrubbed in hot water prior to entering the tank, obviously with no chemicals.

The fish were moved temporarily to a much smaller tank while I cleaned out the main one which made them a bit miserable understandably but after setting up the new tank they were moved back into the main one and initially seemed fine.

However today 2 of the Orandas are displaying signs of serious distress, neither of them are swimming properly and they both swim upside down, jerking around occasionally and seeking places to hide away which is very unlike them - the 3rd Oranda doesn't seem himself but so far has displayed none of the symptoms.

The tank is now the cleanest it has ever been so I cannot understand what could have brought these issues on? They would appear to have swimbladder problems but both fish also have red vein-like streaks on their tailfins which also concerns me.

I feed them Hikari Oranda Gold food soaked for 15 mins prior to feeding twice a day.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 21/10/2010 21:15
Re: Problems with 2 Orandas #2
Hi,
How long have you had the tank cycled?
Was there a reason you emptied out the tank and occupants to clean it?
Do you have your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
When you cleaned your tank and installed the new filter, did you squish all the (if cycled) media into the new filter, or are you running both side by side?
Fishadmin Fishadmin
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Spain
  • Group: Webmasters Registered Users LFS Caresheets Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/10/2010 21:35
Re: Problems with 2 Orandas #3
if it's a new filter you may have new tank syndrome..

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... php?topic_id=559&forum=14
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 21/10/2010 23:17
Re: Problems with 2 Orandas #4
Hi,

The old version of the tank was fully cycled and had been for around 6 months and the fish were perfectly fine during this time. The reason for emptying out the fish and entire contents of the tank was in order to fully remove all rotting plant matter, clean all sides of the tank thoroughly, add some new gravel / plants / ornaments etc and install the new filter with clean water - I figured a full strip of the tank would be more beneficial to the fish.

I cut up the old filter foam and spread it out amongst the ehfisubstrat within the new Eheim 2217 filter so that the good bacteria can spread amongst it so I'm not sure whether it's new tank syndrome that they are suffering from - plus its also worth mentioning that one of the Orandas was displaying signs of swim bladder problems whilst still in the temporary tank prior to being released into the new setup.

I don't have a testing kit to measure the condition of the water but if you really think this is the issue I will purchase one and examine the results.
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 22/10/2010 13:39
Re: Problems with 2 Orandas #5
It sounds like you have uncycled your tank. The bacteria you have, will be trying to play catchup if its 100% new water in your tank. Your going to need a test kit so you can check on your water chemistry when ever you need to, try this one http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_tr ... _sacat=See-All-Categories its not cheap but you will get hundreds of tests out of it.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 22/10/2010 19:59
Re: Problems with 2 Orandas #6
It may be that the pH is different with such a big water change. Do you know what it was before you stripped the tank? Check what it is now to compare.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 12/11/2010 13:17
Re: Problems with 2 Orandas #7
Hi,

Sorry for the late response, thanks for all your input.

Yeah it looks like I made a massive error in replacing all of the tank water, the tank is now cycling which is far from ideal so i am doing 50% water changes every 2 days to keep the ammonia levels down as I have no spare cycled tank to move the fish to.

I feel a bit foolish as I thought I was doing them good but I learn for next time.

On a positive note the tank itself is much cleaner and the fish are improving despite dispalying signs of SBD. I have been feeding them peas and using Interpet Swimbladder disorder treatment so I am hoping they will be back to their normal selves within a week or so.