sapphire sapphire
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/8/2010 13:18
Orca 450 mainteance #1
Hi all, sorry I am new to this forum, have tried searching for my queries but haven't found what I'm looking for, so apologies if I'm repeating something thats already been answered.....I have recently 'inherited' a Orca 450, if has been kept running but with no fish etc but still has live rock. I am in the process of gradually getting the water levels correct but was just wondering what needs to be done in the chambers with regards to filters etc, I'm not sure if the skimmer is doing much ??? Any help would be gratefully received
Bill 54 Bill 54
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 28/8/2010 22:43
Re: Orca 450 mainteance #2
Hi Sapphire, Well for a start you have not said how long it's been running for, also I don't know what you have in the back chambers....did you stay with the original set up??, hope you bined the bio balls and ceramic rings and used crushed live rock in one of the back chambers, also slightly enlarge the holes in the spray bar to stop the back chambers flooding. Your skimmer should be turned off if the tank has only been running for a couple of weeks as there is nothing to skim.

Bill
sapphire sapphire
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 29/8/2010 9:14
Re: Orca 450 mainteance #3
Hi Bill, it has been running probably for 8 months, the set up is the same as when it was purchased, so yes the balls are still there, the chambers have the heater, the balls the skimmer and then i'm guessing the filter, does this sound about right ?
Bill 54 Bill 54
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 29/8/2010 10:19
Re: Orca 450 mainteance #4
Ok.....sapphire 8 months you say,by now your tank should be up and running. It only takes a couple of months to get the water parimeters right. Most orca TL450 Fish keepers get rid of the bio balls and ceramic rings for a start,as you have L/R in the front of your tank,the primary method of filtration will be the live rock and the artificial filter media will only compete for nutrients. Go to the left hand side of this page at main menue and click on Articles, click on marine Articles and you will get all you need to know there, hope this helps good luck.

Bill
sapphire sapphire
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 29/8/2010 16:23
Re: Orca 450 mainteance #5
Thanks...will have a read
procky procky
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Warwickshire
  • Posted on: 30/8/2010 23:11
Re: Orca 450 mainteance #6
Has your tank had anything living in it? ie fish, ever? If not don't add any yet. You may need to start a cycle off again to build the bacteria up that should live in the live rock! To do this you have a couple of options either drop a whole shrimp in there and let it decay! Or add a bit of fish food daily for a week, let it cycle this will build the bacteria up then you can add your fish etc! This is the first thing I'd do, as you don't wanna add fish to a filtration system which can not handle the bio-load - you will have a tank crash before u start.

Read up on the nitrogen cycle this in turn will obviously sort out your water params for you, once cycled just do a 10% weekly water change and your laughing!!
sapphire sapphire
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 4/9/2010 13:51
Re: Orca 450 mainteance #7
Yes it has had fish etc in it in the past just not for the last couple of months..have sorted the salt levels in the water now but the live rock is going brown...bit worried about this..any ideas ???