bigwill bigwill
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Norfolk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/8/2010 22:41
help on anenome? #1
can any one help me with this one
Whats the name or type off this anenome?
And if anything what am i ment to be feeding it?
Tried feeding it a prawn but took in and then just spat out later that day?

Attach file:

jpg  (339.54 KB)
10401_4c5b300790ac8.jpg 960X1280 px
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 6/8/2010 2:12
Re: help on anenome? #2
anemones are very hard to feed, in the wild they will eat a variety of things that it gets hold of as well as producing much of there food themselves, or rater the zooanthellae that live in its tissues produces for it by usingsunlight. not too sure what type of nem that is, can you give a bit more info? it looks pretty white in the photo, does it have any colour on it? i will have a look at some pics and see if i can ID it. as far as i know, nems shouldnt be white, as that generally means they dont have any zooanthellae which is generally a bad thing if you're an anemone!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
bigwill bigwill
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 6/8/2010 11:34
Re: help on anenome? #3
Yeah its mainly white on the top but its undermeath is yellow/orange and has loads off small worm like tentakles with little black dot on the ends... i have had it for about 6 months and have never fed it anything,its just seams to like the shade
but have been reading you should feed anenomies
have tried to take some more pics but cant get real close pic
bigwill bigwill
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 6/8/2010 11:53
Re: help on anenome? #4
is this any clear'r?

Attach file:

jpg  (396.26 KB)
10401_4c5be98278ea2.jpg 960X1280 px
phisan phisan
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From -
  • Posted on: 6/8/2010 16:10
Re: help on anenome? #5
hello
it seems it is a faily common anemone in the trade, I would say it is Heteractis sp. H.malu posseses short, plump tentacules, white with a more colorful tip whereas H.crispa has longer tentacules. There is also a point about the density of tentacules on the disk, which would have me say it is more a H.crispa.
Anyhow the tentacules are smooth so it excludes Phymanthus sp. and H.aurora as well
These two species may be white without impending the survival of the animal.
If they behave as corals do, even though they are hermatypic ( relying on the zooxantellate hosts for a part of their energy resources) they do absorb a lot of other things from the outside non living : sediments, paricules,disolved elements, feces, corpes of small animals, but also living from the bacteria to the bigger small fishes and crustacean animals.
So do not worry too much, if you don't see your anemone shrink, it certainly means it has found some kind of food source in your tank and lives on it. The signs of troubles would be a shrinking anemon, always moving for example. Which does not appear to be your case.
try from time to time some other kind of food and observe.
good luck

By the way, protect your pumps and sump. and these two species may be big.....
nano 240 lite