« 1 (2)
Anonymous  
Re: biorb suitability..? #11
Cathie, what would be the difference between the surface area on a Biorb sponge and the sponge you would find in a Fluval U1 internal filter?

I don't overfeed, my water parameters are fine, where does the problem lie?
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 28/7/2010 11:47
Re: biorb suitability..? #12
I was thinking the equivalent of a fluval 2+ which would hold the equivalent of 3 biorb sponges. But so long as you are getting away with it, just monitor closely ...
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Anonymous  
Re: biorb suitability..? #13
Cathie, yeah of course. It was a conscience decsion that I had given serious thought to for months. For me, being able to siphon with such ease makes the bubble tube ugf work for me rather than taking it all out and dumping in a Fluval U1 or U2 which wouldn't have been easy on the eye considering the distorted viewing associated with Biorbs/Biubes.

Avon82, monitor your conditions over next few weeks and if everything is going fine in your opinion then i'd think about 3 more WCMM's at leave it at that. I'd advise keeping the ceramic media as it's working for you and you seem to have sucess with the siphon.
avons82 avons82
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/7/2010 11:57
Re: biorb suitability..? #14
has a biorb life been proven to be any better than the standard biorb?

thanks, amey
Anonymous  
Re: biorb suitability..? #15
It has a larger surface area again slightly but way overpriced.
avons82 avons82
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 28/7/2010 12:09
Re: biorb suitability..? #16
hmmm thought as much! Are there ANY handsome fish tanks out there that actually function properly?
Anonymous  
Re: biorb suitability..? #17
There are limited handsome ones in my opinion. To name a few would be Juwel Vio 40 due out in October, this tank is only 40 litres but would easily house WCMM's or Tetra's if you wanted to go tropical. There is also the Arcadia Arc 2 45l & 60l tanks which are due out very soon. Google them and see what you think.
avons82 avons82
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 28/7/2010 12:21
Re: biorb suitability..? #18
thanks! :D
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/7/2010 18:28
Re: biorb suitability..? #19
Hi avons82

Smaller tanks are not very suitable for fish really. Even just a small shoal (6) fish growing to no more than 5cm, need a rectangular tank of 65 litres as a minimum.

Taken from the FK article here:

Size of tank - Generally, the bigger the better. Larger volumes of water are safer to maintain and are much less likely to suffer from yo-yo changes. More dilution = safer water. FK usually recommends for tropicals a min of 45 litres for 1 male Betta (soft water permitting), a min of 65 litres for 1 small shoal of fish who grow to no more than 5cm but the best size starter tank is around 85 to 120 litres or more. Easy to manage and will permit a little varied stocking.

Hope this helps you decide

Ooh, tank shopping. I love this bit!
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti