Lonnwy Lonnwy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Glamorgan
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/7/2010 17:09
Unexpected snail!! #1
Hi everyone, this snail has suddenly appeared in my tank, and I have no idea where it came from!

It's about 1cm long when it's grazing, the shell is slightly shorter, it's brown with a grey rim, and looks a bit like a long shelled winkle that you find in rockpools. It's got quite long stalks at the front, tipped with black, and a fairly narrow pointed tail.

My questions are where could it have come from in the first place, is it bad for my fish and should I get rid of it? It just seems to be grazing on the glass of my tank at the moment, and I can't see any others, but it looks very like the stones in the bottom of my tank!

I've tried to take a pic but it's too small for it to come out properly!

Any advice will be gratefully received, thanks in advance,
Best Wishes,
Lonnwy x

Attach file:

jpg  (150.42 KB)
11406_4c41d4dd009e4.jpg 989X657 px
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 17/7/2010 20:09
Re: Unexpected snail!! #2
Hard to say from the pic but I think it's some kind of Physa. It probably hitched in when it was too tiny to notice. Snails are a fact of life in aquaria, they are near impossible to get rid of but as long as they don't breed too much then they won't be a problem.

Have a read of this if you want some more info-

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... ter_snail_information.htm

Hope that helps
Lonnwy Lonnwy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Glamorgan
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/7/2010 20:24
Re: Unexpected snail!! #3
Thanks for the link Fishy-fishy, it was really helpful!! I think it's a harmless snail to my fish anyway!! It's the shape of a Nerite snail looking at the pic, but it's the colouring of the photo of the Apple snail, let's hope my diagnosis of harmless is ok!! Lol!!

My goldfish did try to nibble at it earlier but gave up after a very short time!

How long do these snails take to grow? As the last time I added any live plants was well over a month ago!

Hey, anyway, if it's an algae, detritus, rubbish eater then I'm a happy bunny! Don't worry, I do know that I still have to do most of the maintenance of my tank, but any help (however small!!) is always welcome!

Thanks again Fishy-fishy, I'll keep everyone updated about my new addition's progress!!

Best wishes,
Lx