« 1 2 (3)
Anonymous  
Re: New Convict and Rant - Fry Diary #21
Day 17 - Lost a lot over the last couple of days, but most of the ones that are left are looking strong

Here's one of the biggest ones.

Attach file:

jpg  (1,673.93 KB)
10076_4c08bf4538413.jpg 2010X1968 px
Anonymous  
Re: New Convict and Rant - Fry Diary #22
Mum and Dad have had a couple of iffy days, watching them it looks like they frighten each other by coming up from behind unexpectantly.
Yesterday one of them hit the condensation cover pretty hard after getting spooked.
Otherwise they seem to be getting along fine and their confidence with me is growing all the time.

Today, Mum has what could be bite marks on her gill cover, but this is the same place that was damaged when she jumped out of the tank so I'm not sure what to make of it, any ideas? (see pic)

Attach file:

jpg  (1,252.48 KB)
10076_4c08c05d8da20.jpg 2478X1452 px
dwss59 dwss59
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Caresheets Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 4/6/2010 19:29
Re: New Convict and Rant - Fry Diary #23
Its quite usual for the shoal of babies to thin out, one of the reasons that they lay so many eggs in the first place.

Are you feeding them yet?

Regarding mum, its quite possible shes just bashed herself so keep an eye on her. Try and refrain from jumping for the meds just yet as the babies will not be up to it.

If she gets worse let us know.
Central Americans; once they pop they don't stop!
Anonymous  
Re: New Convict and Rant - Fry Diary #24
I gave them all Daphnia yesterday, which was fun to watch in a morbid way as the smaller fry had to chomp onto one and pull a chunk off
I tried to give them soaked pellets today, but mum and dad ate them all and the kids weren't interested, they much prefer baby snails and the fuzz on the plants.

I'm expecting to lose a few more, the biggest is about 3 times the size of the smallest so I doubt they'll last long. The biggest ones are already too big for Mum to pick up in her mouth (she's only young herself).
dwss59 dwss59
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Caresheets Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 5/6/2010 11:22
Re: New Convict and Rant - Fry Diary #25
You could try liquifry 3.
I mix it with a little water and pour it in to the main group of fry.
Central Americans; once they pop they don't stop!
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 5/6/2010 12:05
Re: New Convict and Rant - Fry Diary #26
I have also used this successfully with shelldweller fry

http://www.hikari.info/tropical/t_13.html
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Anonymous  
Re: New Convict and Rant - Fry Diary and New Tank #27
The fry are still doing well, the little ones all seem to still be alive and growing and the big ones are looking more like copies of their parents.
All of the fry are now fairly independant so it's very hard to count how many I have, but there seem to be about 10-15 left.
I'm starting to put real thought into how to setup my 4ft tank for them as the fry will be big enough to net in a couple of weeks to a month by my estimate, then they'll get a couple of months with me before I rehome them

I've tried to get photos but they move when the camera puts on it's red light thingy so I just get blurs.
Anonymous  
Re: New Convict and Rant - Fry Diary and New Tank #28
All but one fry dissapeared randomly, no corpses or signs that they were weak. I suspected the parents so moved the last one into my other tank with my Danios and Oranda.
The remaining fry is doing very well after about 4 days in the other tank.

The Mum has also laid a new batch of eggs, many more this time than last
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 25/6/2010 0:34
Re: New Convict and Rant - Fry Diary and New Tank #29
probably why they disapeard it acn take a few tries to raise a set of fry successfully by the parents
[img]http://i275.p