(1) 2 »
Eggbut Eggbut
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 19/6/2010 21:14
Ist time tropical fish keeping #1
Maybe I should have my little boy join because it's his tank. Although 'you know who' will be doing most of the work...I'll make sure he does some of it.

A couple of questions:

1] Do you need to put the heater in at the very start of the cycling process?

2] In a 90'ish litre [2 & a half foot] tank how many Guppies can he have?

I have stood and cleaned his gravel...came with his tank...soaked it in boiling water and salt, cleaned it again, soaked it in un-salted boiling water....and then noticed very fine gritty colourful 'bits'. Some twit has painted quite a few small stones with metalic paint and it's coming off!!!! Now I'm doing it all again, picking out all the painted stones, what a pain...in more ways than one!!

Anyway, thanks,

Eggbut x.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 19/6/2010 22:01
Re: Ist time tropical fish keeping #2
Yes, put the heater in from the start. The tank will cycle faster with warmer water and you'll want to know the heater can hold a nice stable temperature.

Aquarium Gravel is normally really cheap, it might be best to ditch the stuff that's been messed with and just use fresh.

I'd start with 10 guppies, (once cycled). You'll end up with many more over time like it or not!
Eggbut Eggbut
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 19/6/2010 23:24
Re: Ist time tropical fish keeping #3
Well that makes absolute sense! Thanks.

That is exactly what M said! I have four new bags I bought last week, but I was so annoyed after spending so much time sorting it out I said 'No, I'll clean it AGAIN!'.

I have just finished...again...and I think you're both right. There's still bits of paint in the bottom.

I won't risk it. I'll throw it away....aarrgghh!!

That's good, being able to get him 10. Is 6 females to 4 males OK?

Thanks EagleC,

Eggbut x.

Oh, and thanks for 'throwing' me to the right place!. [And getting rid of the adverts!]
Mr. S. Hill Mr. S. Hill
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/6/2010 11:50
Re: Ist time tropical fish keeping #4
Ahh the joys of cleaning hey :).

Pets @ Home have a 2 for 1 offer on gravel ATM btw ;).

As for how many male to female, I have been told generally speaking 2 - 1 is good so maybe drop a male and have 9 to start with? Though that was by LFS so maybe not entirely accurate.

I bet he can hardly wait till it's all set up :D
Eggbut Eggbut
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 20/6/2010 12:58
Re: Ist time tropical fish keeping #5
Hi S,

yes he keeps rearranging the contents! I'll be putting the water in today, I hope that stops him!!

By the way....I feel like a twit. I must have seen the 'Fish Blogs' on the 'Fish Blogs' page....not the 'Profiles' page. I'm always looking around the site so I must have seen it on one of my trips - not really understanding what it was.

I have been buying my gravel from Wilkinsons, it always seems a lot cheaper. But thanks, I'm going in to 'P's @ H' today to buy Tropical flakes, to start cycling J's tank. I'm also giving in and buying him some 'Rainbow' gravel, I like the 'Dorset' myself, but his will look good with a bit of colour.

Now, in my family there is a condition called Aspergers Syndrome, I have a brother, a nephew and a son with it. Also, I can see traits in other family members...including me! I don't like odd numbers - daft I know, but I always work in even numbers. If that's the case I'd rather go up to 12!

BUT.... if he has ten, that means '6' females to '4' males - works all ways!!!

My poor husband has a LOT to put up with I tell you!!!

Plus....the more ladies the better, the way our male Orandas' are chasing the female, it's not on!!
Mr. S. Hill Mr. S. Hill
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 20/6/2010 14:46
Re: Ist time tropical fish keeping #6
Ahh I never thought to try wilkinsons. Just found that "proper" fish places charge more for the same thing.

Could you maybe do 7 vs 3? or would that set it off to as the overall is 10?

I think the fishes get chased because, to quite violet I think it was "after eating, sleeping and pooping there isn't much left for the fishes to do ;)"
Eggbut Eggbut
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 20/6/2010 16:49
Re: Ist time tropical fish keeping #7
Ha ha!!

Now I'm a 'grown up' I do have ways of fooling myself into things.

There's no offer on in Boston 'P's @ Hm', the gravel there is ?3.99 for 2.5 kgs. In Wilko's it's ?1.69 for mine & ?1.29 for the Rainbow for J for the same amount.

I got him some 'jewels' from there as well, much cheaper. His is all Pirate themed, he's been pirate mad for about 5 years.

Just got to get him some plants now.

Who's getting excited??!!
Eggbut Eggbut
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 20/6/2010 21:26
Re: Ist time tropical fish keeping #8
Well, I just thought I'd let you know, J's tank is filled [took only 80 litres], filter in and working, food started.

J said, when it was all switched on, "Better get some fish now then"! He thought that because I'd put food in the fish were next!

Actually, when I explained about the cycling he accepted it. Much better than my adult friend who's had fish for years...."...just get them in there!"

I've just found the heater, it was still in the car [with the tank!] I'll put it in tonight.

I haven't got him any plants yet, I didn't like any in the shop today.

Will it be OK to get them in the next couple of weeks??

Thanks,

Eggbut x.
Eggbut Eggbut
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 20/6/2010 23:25
Re: Ist time tropical fish keeping #9
I did a silly thing.

I bought a big bottle of Tetra 'Aquasafe' today. Then I added the water to J's tank upstairs. I treated it with the remains of the old bottle of Tetra...thinking it was the same.

The new one says : "For healthy fish in all Freshwater and Marine Aquaria".

I thought they were the same, but the one I used upstairs, for J's Tropical tank says the same....but for goldfish.

Do I have to do the whole thing again now??

Aaaarrrghh!!!!
Dolhin Seabray 500 litres with four Fancy Goldies & 5 White Clo
Mr. S. Hill Mr. S. Hill
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 21/6/2010 0:11
Re: Ist time tropical fish keeping #10
Just might speed things up, couldn't you put some of the media from your downstairs filter into his tank to get the cycling going a bit faster?

Good tip on the Wilkin's place, will go there myself :).