« 1 (2) 3 »
Mr. S. Hill Mr. S. Hill
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/6/2010 19:32
Re: Betta community idea... #11
Don't women prefer it if men aren't around anyway? .

I'll see if I can find a bonded pair otherwise back to the drawing board.

Any ideas on feature fish? Shouling fish are very prettyful but really there is the need for a slightly larger fish in there just to draw the eye sometimes. Know what I mean?

Really in a tank of this size ideally 2 feature fish would be better then just 1 otherwise I would just get the 1 male betta and be done with it.
Dazzler83 Dazzler83
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 17/6/2010 20:17
Re: Betta community idea... #12
What about a larger shoal of bright fish like cardinal tetra they can look very very attractive in a well maintained tank. or baybe a pair of pearl gourami they are attractive but you may be a little small on volume for a pair of these.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Mr. S. Hill Mr. S. Hill
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 17/6/2010 20:19
Re: Betta community idea... #13
Personally I am of the opinion of smaller fish but lots of them look prettier, and cardinal tetras are already on the cards but mom insists there should be some larger fish so trying to keep her happy really.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 17/6/2010 20:46
Re: Betta community idea... #14
2 or 3 larger shoals of small fish would look fabulous in that size tank. Behave more naturally and you would get some great movement.

I remember some years ago posting this same question about having a 1 or 2 bigger more flashy display fish in the same size tank when it was a community set up, but it's hard to find something really given the tank size, water params and compatibilty of most trops. Your mum is going to be a bit dissapointed if she holds out for this I think.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Mr. S. Hill Mr. S. Hill
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 17/6/2010 20:59
Re: Betta community idea... #15
To be fair the whole reason I got the tank is because she has always wanted fishes, so I want it to be as perfect as possible for her.

If it were up to me it would be full to the brim with Tettras of lots of pretty colours :D.

Okay how's this...

5 Kuhli loaches
6 octowhatsits catfish things.
10 Ember Tetra
10 Cardinal Tetra

and then eventually over time if the filtration is up for it and I feel the need for more then eek it up to 16 of each of the tetras or bring in 10 Flame or another similar small Tetra
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 17/6/2010 21:40
Re: Betta community idea... #16
Nice selection, given suitable soft water, but I'd just add the following for you to condsider:

5 Kuhli loaches - not shoaling as such but they do better in bigger groups. Night feeders. Often out in a tank and never seen during daylight hours. Often take home in filters (watch out when cleaning filters and doing water changes) if you want to actually see fish, perhaps not the ideal choice.

6 otto - (Ottocinclus) - yup shoaling, 6 or more but only suited to a mature tank of at least 6 months old with good algae growth in situ. Many are still wild caught using the cyanide technique, which leads to thin fish, empty bellies (look for fat tummies when buying) and fish that struggle to settle - be aware as many of these die in the early weeks of housing if not properly cared for.

10 Ember Tetra, 10 Cardinal Tetra - nice, given the pH can be sorted. Cardinals do far better in a mature tank (at least 6 months old) though to avoid any early deaths as they are very sensitive.

Water params once initially stocked and healthy will dictate any possible future stocking
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Mr. S. Hill Mr. S. Hill
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 17/6/2010 21:49
Re: Betta community idea... #17
Duly noted, I wasn't aware of the catfish thing. Will be sure to look out for the fat bellies :).

Funny you should say that about the Kuhli loaches though because mine are a little crazy (the ones I have atm which won't be with me much longer :() in that there is usually 1 or 2 about in the early hours or late hours and they are ALLLLL over the place near the edges going up and down and around and around. To be fair most of the time I can't sleep I just take up residence in front of the tank as they put on quite a "show" once the lights are off. They don't half like swimming at full speed into me when I am replanting the plants they have uprooted though.
Mr. S. Hill Mr. S. Hill
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 17/6/2010 21:51
Re: Betta community idea... #18
Ohh forgot to ask, so what can I get in the immature tank to mature it? I mean besides plants what else should I put in there once cycled to mature the tank as all those fish are ones that need a mature tank. Kuhli loaches? Oh or could I get a single male Betta that will be going into my OH's tank when it is set up and keep it in there until her tank is set up to get the tank "maturing"?
Critch Critch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 18/6/2010 15:14
Re: Betta community idea... #19
What about a group of Odessa barbs,

But not too sure what they will be like with loaches,

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad!
I dont keep fish i keep water the fish are only there for decoration
Mr. S. Hill Mr. S. Hill
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 18/6/2010 19:41
Re: Betta community idea... #20
Those are very nice.

To be honest I am getting a bit put off by the loaches at the moment.

They ate one of my shrimp. I assume it was them because all shrimp were present and accounted for, and then I come back near the afternoon and 1 is lying there half eaten. Literally the bottom half was just gone. And they don't really serve a purpose either and although they are fun to watch in their shenanigance but they cause the rest of the fish more harm then good constantly running into everything without any real care for who it is...