« 1 2 (3) 4 »
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 5/6/2010 18:26
Re: Help #21
You can buy a basic aquarium thermometer really cheaply and I would urge you to get one not only for water changes but also over the summer.

A small tank can heat up really quickly without you realising it and the oxygen carrying capacity of water decreases substantially as it heats.

An airstone (not the filter - a separate airpump, airline & stone - or something called an ario) will both increase oxygenation & slightly decrease temperature.

e.g. Thermometer ?1.99

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.u ... s-thermometer-p-1990.html

This is an ario - it is an all-in-one jobbie, the only problem is that it is easiest to fit before you put the gravel in, so if you are getting a Staples box as Violet suggests it would be an ideal time, tho you can scrape gravel away and 'retro-fit' ?9.45

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.u ... ario-air-pump-p-1514.html
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 5/6/2010 18:44
Re: Help #22
Apologies baibalin just re-read the threads and note they are now in 96 litres (my mistake) but the advice about water param readings, temp and an airstone will still apply.

The slightly bigger tank should be helping short term but will still need to be upgraded of course. How are things tonight? Any better? Fingers crossed for you all
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
baibalin baibalin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/6/2010 20:23
Re: Help #23
Thank you all so much :)

I just check my tank again and realize that I have got the same basic aquarium thermometer that you suggested :)) because I bought a use one so..... luck me :) the temp is 26C
I decided to put my old air pump which is not very big is ELITE799 but still it will make a bit difference for the time being.
I opened the top, that might help them too.
Now they look more active and looking forward to the food :))
I will post later on the readings.
I will try to get them the air stone sometimes this week and hopefully in a week or so to have better news regarding her fin.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 6/6/2010 16:34
Re: Help #24
Ooh, that's very warm for fancies (I run my trop tank at 26) so try and get the temp down. Keep lids up and lights off, that should help alongside the fan technique
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
baibalin baibalin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 15/6/2010 23:13
Re: Help #25
Hi,

Just to update on my situation which unfortunately is very poor.
The first 7 days of the treatment with Pimafix & Melafix finished and I did 25% water change, now we are in the middle of the second 7 days and I can not see any change for better in her fin :( Is still split and so much shorter and from yesterday I can see the end of the site which is split and short now is even more thinner and BLACK:((
I just have taken the readings, which are as follow:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5.ppm or 10

The other fish is ok, healthy and strong.
The sick one, apart of that, swims normally and interacts with the other. Eating is ok.
Quite happy to see me around

I will try to take some picture tonight or tomorrow afternoon to make the situation hopefully more clear

Any advice is VERY WELCOME
baibalin baibalin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 15/6/2010 23:45
Re:Help #26
As I could not post the pic I just reopen a new page
I do apologies to the moderator:)

Attach file:

jpg  (759.43 KB)
10025_4c18028d7904c.jpg 2272X1704 px
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 16/6/2010 8:17
Re: Help #27
Is the water still 26C and is there still no airstone/bubble wall?
The Venturi in the filter is not the same, an airstone drags the de-oxygenated air from the bottom of the tank to the top allowing for more even gas exchange. The venturi just puts bubbles in the water and that doesn't really make much difference.
At the higher temperature the water cannot hold as much oxygen and adding medication exacerbates this. Lack of oxygen can easily cause health problems.
baibalin baibalin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 18/6/2010 14:06
Re: Help #28
Sorry for the late reply.

Water is not any more 26C, since beginning of last week is between 21-22C and there is a small air stone and from today is another one much bigger, but apart of her fin everything seems ok.
I just don?t know what else I should do to stop the ongoing process on her tail:(
I appreciate all advices!
baibalin baibalin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 11/7/2010 22:41
Re: Help #29
Nobody answer me but just to up date the black thing from her fin disappear but still fin is considerably small, just a silly question would that grow again?
Now the another one is with quite a few white stuff on her tail, she was healthy just couple of weeks before I just notice it when I change water just now :((
To be honest don?t know what to do with them I try my best to look after them and I can?t enjoy them even for a day without problems :(

Any suggestion how to treat her now? with Melafix and Pimafix or something else?

Any help appreciated:)
baibalin baibalin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 12/7/2010 21:26
Re: Help #30
anyone pls:(