flappa flappa
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cleveland
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 14/6/2010 21:28
drop checker confusion #1
Can anyone enlighten me as to waht my problem may be. My jbl drop checker is showing yellow too much co2. Up until a couple of days ago was blue after closing down co2 for around a week. The drop checker is now bright yellow and has been for a few days i have changed the fluid and within 24 hrs goes yellow. Ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 30ppm. The only thing that has changed is i trimmed the plants. Even with airstones running im still getting yellow in drop checker??? Please help im totally confused. Oh ph is 7.6 incase this helps dont know kh dkh dont have a test for this yet
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 15/6/2010 9:11
Re: drop checker confusion #2
How are you adding CO2?

It's been my experience that drop checkers only work if you use a 4dKH solution. In many areas the tap or tank water is suitable but in others you get a continued false reading.

Essentially it's a PH test not really a CO2 test - the theory being that the CO2 creates carbonic acid.

To see what's really going on take a clean glass and fill it from the tank then place it in a well ventilated room for 24 hours. The next day test the PH in the tank and in the glass of tank water you took the day before. If possible check first thing in the morning, at mid day and at night.

You should see the tank's PH change but the glass water PH remains stable. More importantly you will see the differences between the PH of the water that is in the tank and water that has no CO2 added. If this is greater than 1 or if the ph in the glass of water varies then there is a problem - let us know what you find.
flappa flappa
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 15/6/2010 13:03
Re: drop checker confusion #3
thanks normally co2 is injected form pressurised bottle jbl m500 stopped injecting for some time changed drop checker fluid last night bright yellow again??? Still no co2 being injected though. Will post once i do the check you have suggested. I am using tank water in checker not got any 4dkh water yet but will get some. Thought drop checker would still be blue though with no co2 injected at mo. Just when yoiu think your getting your head roiund things lol
flappa flappa
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 15/6/2010 13:43
Re: drop checker confusion #4
should also possibly add using airstones 24/7 got filter set using venturi and breaking water surface just cant understand how i will have any co2 left in tank??
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 15/6/2010 14:06
Re: drop checker confusion #5
From what you've said you probably don't have co2 just a lower PH than a 4dkh solution would have.