Nanoreef08 Nanoreef08
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/6/2010 16:58
Brand New Tank!!!....questions? #1
Afternoon all,

Exciting times, not only is it my birthday today but I have also managed to talk the Mrs into getting me a new 155L tank which will superseded my 40L nano I was running before.

I will attached a pic later. I am in the middle of slowly setting things up now but have a couple of questions.

1) Do most people run their tanks with live rock and a skimmer as their only source of filtration (the new tank came with a fluval 205 external filter that I am thinking of putting on eBay).

2) I have bought coral sand (not live unfortunately) and want to know if you wash it in the usual way before adding it.

The guy in the shop I bought it from said to fill the tank half way with RO and then give it a day or so to get up to temp. Then add the live rock and let it cycle, gradually topping it up.

Its been a couple of years since I set up my original nano I seem to have forgotten everything lol.

Many thanks,
Simon
Nanoreef08 Nanoreef08
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 13/6/2010 18:13
Re: Brand New Tank!!!....questions? #2
The tank

Attach file:

jpg  (149.08 KB)
5541_4c1511c325f99.jpg 480X640 px
glenn9999 glenn9999
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 14/6/2010 12:09
Re: Brand New Tank!!!....questions? #3
hello

what make of tank is this ?

and would you be able to add a sump to the cabinet ?
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 14/6/2010 12:37
Re: Brand New Tank!!!....questions? #4
Berlin filtration method requires a skimmer, strong flow, strong light, live rock and a sump or filter for mechanical filtration (only mechanical and chemical). Many people take this a step further and have algae in the sump for nutrient export.

As you don't have a sump you should use the filter but rinse or replace the media often in pure RO or tap water to kill off any nitrosomas. If the filter matures in a standard way it will start to starve the live rock which could result in a reduction of its effectiveness and an increase in nitrates.

Quality live rock deals with waste, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate from a series of organisms that inhabit it from small crustacean down to anaerobic bacteria.
The strong light encourages photosynthesis which is important to some of the live rock inhabitants and aids in the process.
The skimmer removes organic proteins before they break down into ammonia, with the berlin method it's essential you don't skimp on the skimmer.
The sump allows surface skimming to remove the oil film as well as mechanical and chemical filtration, a place to hide equipment and keep macro algae. It also acts to keep the display tanks water level constant. A filter will only do part of this but it can work. I'd keep it as somewhere to run rowaphos and/or carbon when the need arises.

Coral sand can be rinsed in RO water, not tap.

The guy in the shop...
1/ get zero TDS RO, fill tank 50-75%, run for 24 hours to ensure that equipment works and tank doesn't leak.
2/ drain tank again and add egg-crate and coral sand, refill tank - if the RO is still zero TDS it can be re-used.
3/ Add measured quantity of salt to bring to correct salinity slowly. Ensure it all disolves and use a refractometer to check. Leave another 48 hours minimum and recheck salinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, kh, po4, mg, Ca
4/ Assuming all is working and everything is within NSW ranges go and buy the live rock. Transport it wet (wrapped in plastic is good enough for short journeys. Get it to the tank as soon as possible and arrange carefully. You can use acrylic pegs, milliput or cable ties to get it pinned in place.
5/ Top up the water with salt water mixed from zero TDS RO and your choice of salt. Premix the water for several hours with an airstone.
6/ Monitor the test results daily at first and then twice weekly or weekly as things settle down. Do a water changes often to keep ammonia and nitrate low during this time as this will preserve the life in the rocks. Once ammonia is staying low add a little (tiny amount) fish food daily to keep things alive and continue to monitor.
Nanoreef08 Nanoreef08
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 14/6/2010 13:30
Re: Brand New Tank!!!....questions? #5
Many thanks for the advice! I have just been bought a V2 Skim 300 compact. What are they like as a skimmer?