emma1982 emma1982
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/6/2010 22:56
regal tang #1
hi hope someone can help me!!!!!
i have just bought a regal tang from a marine shop that i have used from the start. my tank has been set up for about 2 months but i purchased coral and live rock from someone that has had their tank set up for 5 yrs and everything had been spot on till now. i put dory in the tank on monday 6/6/10 and i have just noticed that all his body has whitespots on it. thankfully none of the other fish have. is this going to be white-spot or is it just going to be something to monitor for the nest couple of day. sorry for not know ing but i am relatively new to 'marine' setups. many thanks for any responses.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 8:21
Re: regal tang #2
They are prone to white spot, a photo would help us diagnose for certain.
It could also be a dietary reaction (check the caresheet), but I fear that is less likely.

Have a read of this:-
http://www.ultimatereef.com/articles/whitespot/index.htm
emma1982 emma1982
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 18:30
Re: regal tang #3
thanks for your reply....
i have tried several times to take a picture but they always turn out rubbish(need a better camera on my phone).
i have noticed today that there isnt as many spots on it as yesterday. At the minute he is being fed on marine mix and either seaweed or lettuce as advised from the shop where i bought him.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 20:14
Re: regal tang #4
ok, avoid the lettuce. Lettuce is a terrestrial plant and marine fish cant digest the components of terrestrial plantsl and animals. This also means no chicken, pork, garlic or any of that other rubbish people sometimes advise.

The regal unlike many other tangs is mainly carnivorous so needs a high protein diet. Algae based food doesn't really do it for them. I found mine did particularly well by feeding frozen marine foods and vitamin enriched gel foods (like brine shrimp, mysis, the marine quartet/mix and especially krill) every other day.

Keep a close eye on him and prep a quarantine tank because if it is white spot you'll need to move quickly to save them.