Chaps Chaps
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/6/2010 1:24
Marine tank opinions #1
Hi people, this is my first post on your site.

I'm thinking of upgrading my Aqua Start 320 to a Juwel Vision 180 and using it for marine.

Basically, I'm just interested in people's opinions on doing this.

I'm happy using the existing internal filter and just upgrading the existing lighting, installing a koralia nano or two and using plenty of live rock. Note, no skimmer, I will be doing 10 per cent weekly water changes.

I can get hold of one for about ?335 including the cabinet.

So.... a goer or not. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/6/2010 10:33
Re: Marine tank opinions #2
The Juwel filter is not really well suited to a marine setup. Many people use juwel tanks for marine because they're good quality cheap tanks and when you take out the filter, add a sump, put lighting over it and make all the other adjustments you can end up with a very nice set up.

You may find that by the time you've added the required flow and lighting it just isn't worth buying a juwel over a 180L marine tank that is designed for purpose. Not that it wouldn't work it's just that from experience I'd expect it to work out more expensive and much more troublesome in the long term.

Why no skimmer? How will you deal with excess proteins and nutrients removal? I don't think the water changes alone will be enough.