(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »
worwood worwood
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Technical Advice FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 10/8/2005 13:44
Inherted a pond :s #1
Well I've moved away from home and the house i'm currently renting has a pond, albeit a very dirty pond!

I'm really a bit concerned about it tho as it was abviously well cared for at one point as there is a filter, waterfall and pump - but all broken and I am certain I have seen atleast one fish in it.

Problem is that once my tenancy is up - in about 4 months - it's like the house will be knocked down and flats built on the site. Obviously I don't want the fish to be killed by bulldozers and I can't afford to get modern electrial appliances for a pond right now.

Any ideas what I could do to save this poor fish?

The water is so green that I would have no chance of finding it to catch him so I'm a bit baffled.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/8/2005 14:02
Re: Inherted a pond :s #2
Hi I can understand your concern as its only natural anyway are there any plants in this pond as they may support the pond untill you can maybe find a new home for the fish so for now can you not just give it a bit of a clean and some maintenance
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 10/8/2005 14:20
Re: Inherted a pond :s #3
Seems there were two the same of this thread so have deleted the second to save any confusion as both where replyed too i have transfered captk's relpy to this one ok

Quote:

captk wrote:
Hi Worwood,

That is very kind of you to want to save the fish. First of all, how big is the pond? Do you know how big is the fish? Are you planning to keep the fish yourself or find it a good home? Is it feasible to drain the pond?
Ideally, you need to drain it down to about 6 inches and then try to catch the fish and relocate it to a tub or something like that. If you have secured a new home for it/them then the new owner can come and claim it at that time. If you are going to keep it youself then you will need to setup a holding tank/tub until you move.
Please let me know what are your intentions.
halfpastdead halfpastdead
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Norfolk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/8/2005 16:59
Re: Inherted a pond :s #4
just to tag on to what captk wrote if the fish are to big for a conventinal bucket (or tank ) you could try using a kiddies paddaling pool if you have the room then you can do water changes ect and if people want to come look at the fish theyll be able to see them

Resized Image
seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 10/8/2005 17:28
Re: Inherted a pond :s #5
PM the dragonlord, he lives down that way and who knows he might be interested if you are close enough
worwood worwood
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 12/8/2005 15:14
Re: Inherted a pond :s #6
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for a slow repyl and double post - public library computers can be just a bit annoying at times!

Here's a picture of the pond I'm talking about:
Resized Image

I now think I've seen atleast 3 fish - 2 about 2 inches and one aboput 4 inches, and they seem to be goldfish/comet types. However this is a guess as the water is very densely green and i've only seen their noses and quick flicks of their tails.

I don;t think the dragon lord will be able to help as I'm not living in Barnet, London not teh west Midlands as my profile suggests - sorry i should update that

We're currently bucket-less in my house but i might be able top buy a cheap plastic tank - but can't really afford any filtration stuff so i doubt i'll get a tank big enough to keep all 3 in :(

My housemates think i'm crazy and insist they're fine as they are and in some ways i agree. They're obviously finding enough to eat, and they've survived some extreme heat waves - they even have some froggy friends.

I'd really like to keep them, but i feel selfish because i'm not really in a situation where i can afford to keep them or provide a proper home for them :(

Edit: I was looking through the argos book and there's a Hexagonal Tank which is fairly cheap - do you think it would be able to hold the 3 fish? Or does anyone know of better cheap tanks available?
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 12/8/2005 15:24
Re: Inherted a pond :s #7
It looks a nice little pond its a pity the house is to be demolished as for the fish I would leave them where they are for now and just do a bit of maintenace on the pond like adding some fresh water etc and feeding the fish, have you spoken to the landlord who owns the house about what will happen to the fish as he/she may have plans for them, other wise when the time comes I would put them in a large tub and take them with you if you can or find a new owner with an establised pond
worwood worwood
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 12/8/2005 15:27
Re: Inherted a pond :s #8
I've not even met the landlord lol.
Apparently he's in spain at the moment so i might write to him and see what he thinks.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 12/8/2005 15:39
Re: Inherted a pond :s #9
You could try draining some of the water to give you an idea of how many fish there are in the pond, and then top it up with fresh dechlorinated water so at least you will know what you are dealing with, anyway Good luck
markvirgo markvirgo
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 14/8/2005 13:06
Re: Inherted a pond :s #10
worwood i have just built a new pond and i am looking for some new fish. i live in enfield not far from you and i could come and take them. they will be well looked after. mark