• Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/5/2010 8:56
Re: Fishless cycling - numpty strikes #13
Morning

Readings from last night;
Ammonia - 2ppm
Nitrite - 5.0ppm. The test was bright purple and matching this to the varying shades on the test card was a nightmare, but i think that's correct.

I added squeezings from my other filters pads to the water on wednesday. Thought this might help.

So now do i just wait until ammonia is less than 0.5ppm and top up again? Then wait till nitrite os Zero?

I 've noticed the water has become crystal clear also
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/5/2010 9:07
Re: Fishless cycling - numpty strikes #14
Quote:

AquaTrekkie wrote:
Morning
So now do i just wait until ammonia is less than 0.5ppm and top up again? Then wait till nitrite os Zero?

Yes that's pretty much it. Generally I would advise testing daily and when the ammonia is less than 2ppm and adding 2ppm at that point. As long as you have some ammonia and not more than 4ppm every day things should progress nicely. You keep doing this until nitrite and ammonia are zero the day after your last topup - then you do a large water change to remove excess nitrate and top up the ammonia to 2ppm again, carry on for another 3 days or so ensuring that you still get zero readings 24hours after the top-up. At this point you can be confident the tank is cycled and safe for the introduction of fish.

As nitrates will rise you may want to do 20% water changes at the weekends to keep them in check, this prevents the need for the massive water change at the end. So long as you don't change out much more than that and don't forget the dechlorinator this will not harm the cycling process.
AquaTrekkie AquaTrekkie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 28/5/2010 9:40
Re: Fishless cycling - numpty strikes #15
Cool

Thanks EagleC. You've been a massive help through this
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/5/2010 10:01
Re: Fishless cycling - numpty strikes #16
no problem, oh I realised I didn't explain why I asked about the ph.
If the PH shifts dramatically the bacteria could die back. (There are several different strains of the same bacteria that thrive in differing water conditions) and sometimes the biological processes in a new aquarium cause rapid PH fluctuations especially in soft water areas where it can become too acidic to support the bacteria (if you're kettle doesn't scale up with tap water then you're in a soft water area)
Looks like your water is alkaline and thus probably quite hard so you wont have to worry about this.

As a related side note, knowing the PH and hardness of the water is quite important for your selection of fish. Neon Tetra and Corydoras for example thrive in soft acidic waters where as most livebearers like Molly, Guppy and Swordtails like harder waters. By selecting fish that are naturally suited to your water conditions you can improve your chances of success and the long term health of your new pets
AquaTrekkie AquaTrekkie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 10/6/2010 22:51
Re: Fishless cycling - numpty strikes #17
Hey
It's been a couple of weeks now and the cycle was doing exactly as it should have Nitrite over 5ppm, ammonia reducing to 0ppm 24 hours after adding 5-6m/l Ammonia. Nitrites have been dropping over the current week and are now 0ppm (although the solution colour is an light blue with black tinge). The ammonia seems to have slowed it's descent taking longer than 24 hours to clear. Gonna wait a few days see what happens but should i worry?

Cheers
Andy
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 11/6/2010 18:52
Re: Fishless cycling - numpty strikes #18
Looks like you are getting their My ammonia most stubbornly hovered at 0.5ppm for the last few days of the cycle before it dropped very quickly. Ooooh stocking - the exciting bit! - just round the corner
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
AquaTrekkie AquaTrekkie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 12/6/2010 0:23
Re: Fishless cycling - numpty strikes #19
Took a full range of tests tonight.
Ammonia 0.50ppm
Nitrite 0pp
Nitrate 5ppm

Oddly roughly 2weeks ago Nitrate was 40ppm+?

That ammonia reading is the last of wednesday mornings 5m/l addition.Seems it is now taking longer to process.

Will stil do a large water change as it will make planting easier.

So what th opinion on timescale? another week will it be ready?