« 1 ... 43 44 45 (46) 47 48 49 ... 59 »
david3010 david3010
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Merseyside
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/4/2010 17:46
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #451
HI everyone, i am thinking of upgrading the lighting on my tank, i was thinking of removing the hood asnd replacing with a metal halide unit. has anyone ever done this and if so any suggestions for a lighting unit.
glenn9999 glenn9999
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 28/4/2010 10:55
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #452
Hello

i am looking at getting a aquamarine 900, this will be my first marine tank it looks like that it has everything that i need plus the size is perfect for the location where it would be installed.

But i am getting very confused on if i should be looking at getting an external filter ie ehiem or fuval and add an external skimmer or to try and find a sump that would fit in the cabinet with all the equipment in the sump

please please please help me

regards glenn

:)
elise_emma elise_emma
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 28/4/2010 11:54
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #453
hi, i was quite worried about all the forum chat after i'd ordered the tank.

So long as you realise your ordering the tank becuase it comes complete (and as such isn't the best quality of each individual component) and you want a hassle free set up to get going its fine.

I've had mine a couple of months now and have not altered anything, i have purchased an additional powerhead for flow, but otherwise it is as is and works fine.

After a time you will want to upgrade components, but personally i'm very happy with this tank, and happy that i can get going quickly / cheaply and spread the cost of upgrading components as and when i want - if in fact i feel the need to...

HTH

Emma
glenn9999 glenn9999
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 28/4/2010 12:20
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #454
thanks for the info

i just keep reading that the filter that comes with the tank is not the best in the world

i think its a shame that you cannot take out the center support in the cabinet then would you be able to install a sump

??

regards

glenn
david3010 david3010
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Merseyside
  • Posted on: 28/4/2010 20:22
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #455
Has anyone ever upgraded the lighting to metal halide on this tank, or has anyone ever removed the bracing bar. i have a metal halide unit and im worried that the plastic bracing bar will block the light, i was going to replace the bracing bar with two glass ones and then cut the plastic one out, would this be ok or is this just totally stupid.
Jason Peters Jason Peters
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 5/5/2010 20:09
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #456
I have joined the 900 club

live rock just gone in

not happy with the marisys 240 filter which I find very noisy (please see my other thread re finding a silent filter). The set up has been fine and not had any problems with it - it's just noisy

will post pics at some point but guess u are sick of empty 900 tanks-lol
graemej graemej
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 24/5/2010 23:23
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #457
Hi,

New to this site

I have had the aquamarine 900 for just over a year now and have upgraded the lighting to MH with T5. It was easy removing the lid, the bracing bar does cast a shadow so that had to be removed. It was quite scary as when i had sawed through the plastic, it sprung quite violently and i must admit, i thought the tank was going to fall apart! it however did not and is still fine to this day. The whole plastic frame work must be under a lot of tension. Maybe get someone to support the frame whilst sawing to avoid the "springing"

I haven't replaced the brace with anything as i have the tank open topped now. I love the shimmering from the MH, really glad i went for this option.

I dont really rate the marisys that highly, if i can get hold of a sump that would fit in the cabinet i would, but as yet i haven't found one small enough. I use a V2 skim 400 hung on the rear wall of the tank, much more effective than the marisys.

If you require anymore help re: lighting upgrade, please feel free to ask, i do have pics of my mods too which i will post.

Cheers

Graeme
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 25/5/2010 8:02
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #458
Removing the brace bar seriously weakens the tank putting more pressure on the front and rear panels as well as all the joints. They don't add them in for decoration you know
I'd seriously consider putting something back to help re-enforce it.
yorky yorky
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 7/7/2010 23:35
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #459
Hi,

Just changing my lights has they have not been changed for a while.

My Question to anyone who may know is..

Would it be ok to have an 24w intrepet Triplus light (pinkish in colour)with my 36w blue and then the two normal 36w/24w white daylight lights or would this cause a problem?

Only reason is ive got a brand new triplus light (24w) and trying to save abit of money.

Thanks

Lee
Cheers

Yorky
Tunes145 Tunes145
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 10/8/2010 2:31
Re: Has anyone got the aquamarine 900??? #460
Hi everyone,

New to this site and joined to aquamarine 900 club. I have had mine for about 4 weeks now. Got argonite fiji pink live sand and 35 kilos of live rock. 2 koralia evo 2800 pumps.

So far so good, no problems. nitrates and ammonia are zero. I also use purple up, which shows good effect. My live rock started to cover up with purple algae..

I agree with others, marisys 240 is not that effective, there is a layer of sheet on top of the water. After reading the form I ordered deltec mce 300 and an eheim classic external filter to put in some carbon and phospate reducer. I am also thinking to put some live rock in the filter too.

Only problem i had is maroon clown killing a small one, god they're aggressive!. Also my toadstool coral is not yet flroushing. It's been a week so far I had it. It opens during the lights are on but it does not last long though.

I really like the tank, good start for marines..I will stick for a year or two to see how it goes.

Cheers
tunes