(1) 2 3 4 »
baibalin baibalin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/4/2010 12:13
Help #1
One of My fantails had a very tiny black line on the fin, which from yesterday is a whole. I watch carefully to see over and over again but it?s a whole in her fin:(( I change 50% of the water today. Any ideas what could create that and how can I help her?

Thanks
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 19/4/2010 12:33
Re: Help #2
Don't panic Can you give us a bit more info on your fish and tank, and water readings if you have them? Split fins can have a few different causes but they are usually fixed quite easily. Is it just split or can you see any fin rot or any kind of fungus?
baibalin baibalin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 22/4/2010 22:07
Re: Help #3
Sorry, for not getting back straight away but internet problems :(
Its fairly small tank for two fantails, around 40l / I try to change it within next 2 to 3 mouths/ I do have a filter and air pump.
Readings are from tonight:

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0.50ppm
Nitrate - I can?t read it properly but is between 40 or 80

Is just split as far as I can see no fin rot or any kind of fungus.

On the day, I post that I have problems i change 40-50% water change and treat water properly before putting it back to tank.

Any suggestion how I can help her?

Thanks in advance
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 22/4/2010 22:27
Re: Help #4
Sounds like an ammonia spike, perhaps missed, the elevated nitrite reading gives a clue. High ammonia causes black ammonia burns, common in very small tanks and makes very unhappy fishies Nitrite should ideally be under 20ppm for fancies.

Have you seen this link at all? http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... -size-life-expectancy.htm
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
baibalin baibalin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 22/4/2010 22:40
Re: Help #5
I have read that only when I bought them and start having problems and found this useful forum. I try to maintain as much as I can the water conditions as I change it every week and sometimes in between as well but is getting more and more harder :( I really can not get a bigger tank in the next month but will do my best after that!
I really feel sorry that I didn?t know that before buying them :(
Any ideas how can I help them in short run?
mikethorpe1968 mikethorpe1968
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Norfolk
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 22/4/2010 22:49
Re: Help #6
Hi

you could buy 84 litre storage box as a tempory measure, you can get them in Staples probabbly around the ?20 mark, you could then just move your current filter and air pump over along with your gravel.

Also test your tap water for Nitrates as it may be worth you getting a Nitrate remover like this >Nitrate remover<

London water can have high levels of Nitrate so i'm led to belive.

hope that helps
Mike <><

Fishless Cycle
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 22/4/2010 22:55
Re: Help #7
TBH , the only way you can help them immediately to medium term is to house them in a tank thats big enough with filtration that is suitable.

September of last year, many FK members posted the same response to you back then. 40 litres is just too small for the fancies that you have, I'm afraid Are you in a position yet to upgrade? If not, rehoming is the only option really.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
baibalin baibalin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 25/4/2010 21:43
Re: Help #8
Well I am determine to keep them and buy a proper new home :)
However today I bought them a temporary home :) a plastic storage box 84l but a need a little help, as I will move them tomr there.
I have some new gravel so I plan to put them and move the old one as well. Shall I put only new treated water or shall I add the one from the old tank too? In addition, just not sure if the filter will be enough for that or a need to buy a bigger one for the time being?

Thanks in advance!
baibalin baibalin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 5/5/2010 17:10
Re: Help #9
Hi,guys

I badly need your advice as the situation with my fantails fin unfortunately does not look good. It is completely split on two, previously I mentioned was a whole, which now is a big split.
Just to clarify that I could not move them since my last post as I bought them now a proper fish 96l used tank. I set it up on Sunday so there are still in there old tank.

Any advice from you? Shall I still wait another couple of days or shall I move them so the cycle start going there and I can treat her fin.

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot!
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 5/5/2010 17:25
Re: Help #10
Nice one on new tank - I'd get them in it now Use the media from the old filter or put the old filter in the new tank, add decor, add dechlorinated tap water brought up to temp with boiled water from the kettle, add as much of old water as possible and add fish No need to cycle if you already have a filter running - same bacteria, same fish, same fish, same waste production, more water to dilute toxins - job's a good 'un!

A bit of melafix should see her right once they are moved

HTH
It's Not Just A Fish