« 1 (2)
MIGHTYFINN MIGHTYFINN
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/7/2009 21:01
Re: pond filters #11
yo its done and up and running finally.I exchanged my ecopower + for a ecocel running perfect and no lid lifting.Actually i have two filters running now which was a bit fiddly setting up but the water is much clearer. I have never done this before so has anyone got any tips or has a similar setup let me know
cheers
finn
MIGHTYFINNMIGHTYFINN
2pods 2pods
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Posted on: 1/5/2010 23:10
Re: pond filters #12
First apologies for not being on for..... it seems like years

But I'm glad I checked, because although it's a very old thread, until I read it I thought I was going mad

It's very nearly the same situation.
I moved my Bioforce 3300UV up to our mini pond, an installed an EcoPower+ on the bigger pond, which has flooded itself constantly, nearly draining the pond and killing my 5+ year old fish in the process
..and yes, I'm using Hozelock's recommended Titan 3000 pump with it.

I'm off to find a couple of bricks, and I'll be phoning Hozelock on tuesday.

Peter
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 1/5/2010 23:25
Re: pond filters #13
Quote:

and I'll be phoning Hozelock on tuesday.

Peter

Why?
2pods 2pods
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Posted on: 1/5/2010 23:40
Re: pond filters #14
eh, because the lid keeps lifting.
It currently has three granite blocks on it, and it's still not really closed properly.

Peter
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/5/2010 7:57
Re: pond filters #15
Quote:

2pods wrote:
eh, because the lid keeps lifting.
It currently has three granite blocks on it, and it's still not really closed properly.

Peter

Thank you. I asked because you never said why you were going to call them.

If the lid is lifting that implies there is too much water going into the filter, or its not getting out fast enough. Either way its not the makers fault. You either have a pump which is too big, the filter is too small, the outlet pipes could be too small, or the filter could be slightly blocked.

You either have to reduce the volume of the ingoing water, clean the outlet (You may have a piece of filter media stuck in the pipe, have you checked?)Make sure the outlet pipes are as big as possible, if they have hose tails make sure you have cut them down to the hose size.

Has this just started or has it been doing it since you installed everything?
2pods 2pods
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Posted on: 2/5/2010 11:41
Re: pond filters #16
Someone's up early

I think the filter could be overated (volume of water/pump etc rather than reputation) by Hozelock's specifications, as I'm using the pump they recommended (Titan 3000) with the hose tail cut to 38mm, and there is no choice for the outlet anyway, as it's a 40mm pipe which is going directly into the pond.

According to the OP they told him it's possible that the box had warped, so I'd like to see what they advise.

This is by no means an attack on Hozelock, as all my pond stuff, Titan 2000, Titan 3000, Bioforce 2200UV (electrics died after six years - can't say that's not great service !), Bioforce 4500UV, and a Cascade 3000, is/have been great, as is their staff and service. They are a company who stand by their warranties, as I know, having had stuff replaced very quickly.

Of course I checked everything as I always do when I have had a problem with the ponds (which touch wood, has been very seldom over the six years I've had them)before I blamed the filter.

You have made assumptions about the filter without checking. This is the pump Hozelock want customers to use with the filter. The pump's hosetail is 38mm, the maximum on it. Again recommended by Hozelock. The filter is about 2" above the pond....look, I've read the manual.

The previous filter system (Titan 3000, Bioforce 4500UV had been in place for about four years with no problems)

Do you speak for the makers themselves ?

You obviously assumed it was my fault, and this could just go around in circles, so I'll leave it here.

Peter
MIGHTYFINN MIGHTYFINN
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 2/5/2010 13:05
Re: pond filters #17
Hi all
i did post this a while back and its interesting what you have to say. I contacted Hozelock and they said to me that there was a fault with the filter boxes. They said that the boxes had been stored outside in the sun and had warped and therefore did not shut properly. I am not entirely convinced of this as i think its a combination of the boxes not shutting and the change in filtering. Before the water came in from above and filtered downwards through the foam and came up through the outlet no problem!!. It then cahnged to the water being pumped up from below pushing the foam and water up and dislodging the top casing on the box. This has nothing to do with having the wrong or too powerful a pump as i informed Hozelock of what i had and they said it was ok.
This is by no means an attack on Hozelock because i think there customer support was very good and honest and i like their products, it mearly just a design fault and not really rocket science lol!!
thanks all for responding
cheers
mike
MIGHTYFINNMIGHTYFINN
freddie84 freddie84
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 12/4/2011 18:43
Re: pond filters #18
make your own filter !!
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 12/4/2011 19:05
Re: pond filters #19
Quote:

freddie84 wrote:
make your own filter !!

He probably has. May I suggest you look at the date the post was made. (He has not posted since either)