(1) 2 »
spendy spendy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/4/2010 23:07
A couple questions :) #1
Hi everyone ... I'm new to this site, but glad to have found it. Hope you're all well.

Got a couple questions for you guys ...

#1 I recently purchased some fish called Euro Many Banded Tetras. They are lovely and after about 3 weeks are doing very very well.

I usually like to do a lot of research, but haven't been able to find these fish online at all.
Does anyone know the scientific name for them? They're red with darker "tiger like" stripes running from back to belly.
Will take a pic as soon as I can find the charger for my camera.

#2 A work collegue allowed his tank to go to cr!p due to neglect, so he's bascially said if I didn't want the fish he had left he'd flush them.

I managed to adopt a few guppies and a lovely little Hillstream loach. I've set up a small aquarium and they are doing well. Here's the thing, I took the lid off for approx 5 mins to fix the filter and replaced it. Went to feed the fish and noticed the loach was missing, only to find him on the floor. Thank goodness he's still alive and seems to be okay.

Does anyone know if I can put him in my larger tropical aquarium? It's maintained at a temp of 24-25 C?

Thanks x
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 6/4/2010 0:48
Re: A couple questions :) #2
hiya, and welcome!

well done for taking in the refugees! bless!
your main tank is a little on the warm side for hillstream loach species (there are a number of similar looking species that turn up under the common name hillstream loach) in general these fish prefer cooler water (20-22*C) high in oxygen, so they need fast flowing water, they usually end up sitting near filters in the flow where the oxygen is highest. its more suitable for a species set-up really, but not a problem as long as your aware of what it needs. algae is important for providing food for them, mature algae is home to tiny critters that they feed off. the guppies would be ok in your main tank as they need tropical temps, so would keep the hillstream in the little tank, plenty of large smooth pebbles with filter on max, he should be ok. if you need to, you can encourage algae quicker by putting some pebbles in a bowl of tank water on a sunny window sill and then put them back in the tank for him to graze.
not sure about your new fish, if you could take a pic that will help, very hard to id from what sounds like a made up shop name, they may not even be tetras, lol! we'll work out what they are tho with a pic.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
spendy spendy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 6/4/2010 8:18
Re: A couple questions :) #3
Thanks for the info ... Might try to find a small tank for the little guy and set him up properly.

Tried to take some pics of the "tetras" with my phone this morning, but those little guys are quick and I can't seem to get one where they look like a fish. I really need my camera, as my mobile takes rubbish snaps.

Watch this space, will post them soon.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 6/4/2010 11:20
Re: A couple questions :) #4
if its easier, take a little video of them and post it to youtube or something like that and give us the link. doesnt have to be a still image, as long as you get a clear view of them somewhere in it, that will give enough detail to work out what they could be.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 6/4/2010 12:50
Re: A couple questions :) #5
if they have tiger type striping then there probably a barb not a tetra defenitly put a vid up and ime sure we can id them for you

just some very good info on your hill steam this article has been very useful for meny members in the past who have become owners of theas fantastic fish

http://www.loaches.com/articles/hills ... -at-life-in-the-fast-lane
[img]http://i275.p
spendy spendy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 6/4/2010 17:33
Re: A couple questions :) #6
Quote:

gwa84 wrote:
if they have tiger type striping then there probably a barb not a tetra defenitly put a vid up and ime sure we can id them for you

You were very right, I still haven't managed to take the vids or pics, but when I checked banded barbs, they look "exactly" like african banded barbs.

Will still stick a pic on though, just in case my eyes decieve me :)

Thanks so much
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 7/4/2010 0:16
Re: A couple questions :) #7
not a prob ill await the picks and have a good look for you
[img]http://i275.p
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 7/4/2010 9:15
Re: A couple questions :) #8
something that may help initial lines of enquiry, if it is a tetra species, it will have an 'adipose fin' a little fleshy bump between the dorsal fin and the tail (the caudal fin), if thats not there, then it isnt a type of tetra.

heres a toast to all crap shops who insist on making up their own names, cheers!
Gill

Resized Image

spendy spendy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 7/4/2010 23:29
Re: A couple questions :) #9
At long last ... here's 1 of my 4 tetrabarbs :)

Attach file:

jpg  (1,746.37 KB)
11245_4bbd05c7d8237.jpg 2816X1872 px
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/4/2010 23:40
Re: A couple questions :) #10
Barbus fasciolatus ?