rubadub rubadub
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/4/2010 20:09
Need to quarantine plants? #1
Hi,

I've just bought some plants for the pond, and wonder if I should quarantine them first. I have an old bath tub outside that is full of water, which should make an ideal quarantine pond.

I am guessing that it is a good idea to quarantine plants, but what would I be looking for during the quarantine period and how long should it be? There are some very good articles on this site about quarantining but they all talk about fish and barely mention plants.

Also, some of the plants are dry packed (they are a kit with a tub, aquatic compost+clay, gravel and bulbs). Should these also be quarantined considering they have probably never seen water before?

Thanks for any info
mikethorpe1968 mikethorpe1968
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Norfolk
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 1/4/2010 20:14
Re: Need to quarantine plants? #2
Hi rubadub

My understanding is that there is no need to quarantine plants. I maybe wrong so would be interested to know too.
Mike <><

Fishless Cycle
Anonymous  
Re: Need to quarantine plants? #3
I personally quarantine as you never know what may be on the plants. I put them in water with a dose of vodka and clove oil as this will knock off any unwanted creatures. I do this as I once had a plant that was carrying a Caddis Fly Larvae, and the little beggar knocked off quite a few of my little fishes. So now I don't take any chances these days.

Attach file:

jpg  (2.17 KB)
7567_4bb4f26b62305.jpg 124X82 px
Mitchofmedway Mitchofmedway
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 1/4/2010 20:56
Re: Need to quarantine plants? #4
I also quarantine my plants, but the dry packed kits I've put straight in this year.

I quarantine my new plants in fresh pond water, that way I can also see if the plants respond in any way. Normally over a two week period.
Resized Image
UncleZen UncleZen
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 7/4/2010 12:57
Re: Need to quarantine plants? #5
By not quarrantining a plant once, I managed to introduce duck weed. It took quite a while to get rid of it.
Because its small it/they was/were clinging to the underside of a leaf and I didnt notice.