ch57evy ch57evy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Suffolk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/3/2010 23:54
Members or guests ?? #1
Sorry to ask a non fishy question, but can some one please explain to me why the guests visiting this site dont just become members?
When ever I visit there are approx 18-25 guests
and 2-6 members online at the same time surly the guests can see the benifit of joining and being able to ask us questions and for the newbies just visiting they can ask questions and learn from our mistakes and not to believe everything their LFS tells them.

Ok I've now had my moment !!

Can anyone shed some light?
Many Thanks
Christian (ch57evy)
Remember the only dumb question is the one you don't ask! Especially when it comes to keeping fish <'><
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/3/2010 0:08
Re: Members or guests ?? #2
Some of the guests will be members that haven't logged in. Others might be search bots... not sure about the rest - perhaps they'll sign up and let us know
Anonymous  
Re: Members or guests ?? #3
When logging out a lot of people leave there browsers on this site so they appear as guests. I do this all the time, I dont ever shut my browser down it is on this page all the time even when I am looking at other pages. So when you see so many guests a lot could be registered users just not logged in. Hope that helps.

Sorry Crossed posts with EagleC
Anna Robinson Anna Robinson
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 7/3/2010 11:27
Re: Members or guests ?? #4
I thought search bots are usually counted as members? I moderate on another forum, and there they all appear as "registered members" - it's a bit creepy really!

Sometimes people can get their query answered without becoming a member as well.
Consultant, Mars Fishcare.Resized Image
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 7/3/2010 14:33
Re: Members or guests ?? #5
Search bots appear as guests on here. I'm also guilty of leaving the page on the screen if I log out. Sometimes I mooch around without logging in as well
It's Not Just A Fish
ch57evy ch57evy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 8/3/2010 20:10
Re: Members or guests ?? #6
Thank you for the replies
I have learned yet more stuff from this site even though it wasnt a fishy subject
thank you to all
Many Thanks
Christian (ch57evy)
Remember the only dumb question is the one you don't ask! Especially when it comes to keeping fish <'><