cheesypiglet cheesypiglet
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/3/2010 14:58
Marine safe glue advice needed #1
Afternoon all,

I am planning on making a sump for my marine tank out of Polystyrene sheet. I have cut and prepared all the pieces, but am stumped as to what glue to use at the joints. I have done some test pieces using hot glue, sealant and a non solvent based Bostic glue, but none of them seem to have the strength required. I am also weary about using any glue which will not withstand exposure to salt water or that may release toxins/ solvents into the water.

If anyone has any previous experience building tanks or sumps out of polystyrene and can offer any advice on what glues they used I'd really appreciate it. The other alternative is that I start again and make it out of glass, but it seems a bit of a waste as I've already got all the polystyrene sheet cut to shape.

In hindsight I should probably have looked into this BEFORE I purchased and cut the plastic, but hey, I always did like learning the hard way.

Stuart.
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers Caresheets
  • Posted on: 7/3/2010 15:11
Re: Marine safe glue advice needed #2
I'm at the same stage as you making some tanks. Bought all the acrylic etc, just waiting to get a table saw to cut them to size. I've already bought some stuff called Tensol, which is a decent solvent based glue which works by melting the plastic and bonding the two pieces together. I guess any stuff that's not between the joining pieces will evaporate off... will need to look into that but I hadn't really thought much about it until just now. Some of the guides I've seen say to use "WeldOn 4 Solvent cement" which I guess is the same thing...
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 7/3/2010 23:47
Re: Marine safe glue advice needed #3
as far as ime awer you cant really stick polastirine together to form a water tight seal you would be much better geting a glass tank or a large plastic food grade container to do the job that is already water tight then stick the baffles and dividers in with aquarium safe silicone sealant
[img]http://i275.p
electrogear electrogear
  • Malawi Adviser
  • Malawi Adviser
  • From North Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers Caresheets
  • Posted on: 8/3/2010 1:39
Re: Marine safe glue advice needed #4
Good point, is polystyrene a thermoplastic? I don't think it is :S, so no I don't think it is easy to join. With acrylic on the other hand, you can get a "seamless" join where the two pieces become chemically joined into one piece.
cheesypiglet cheesypiglet
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/3/2010 9:28
Re: Marine safe glue advice needed #5
Yeah I think polystyrene is a thermo plastic. I wish I had paid closer attention in DT lessons at school now. Oh well, lesson learnt... Best go order some glass then :)

Thanks for the help guys.

Stuart.