« 1 (2)
gtxxx gtxxx
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Selkirkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/1/2010 12:02
Re: Hello folks #11
Ok tested the water and pH 7.4 (so it's a good job I'm not a betting man) Ammonia 0.25, Nitrate 10, Nitrite 0. Will test tap water after sitting for 24hr. The algae eater doesn't seem to bother the golfish but your right it is a little boistrous. Would I be better getting rid of it and increasing my snail population? Was thinking of a species that burrow in the gravel. I am thinking of a pond but will have to build it first and it wouldn't be a very large one. Why is it that these large shops will sell you these fish with little advice and insist you fill out a slip with your current tank specs, name, and address, if it doesn't make a jot of difference. Also there's always dead or dying fish in the one or two of the tanks and when you tell them they look all surpised (surely they should check their stock everyday). I was at Pets at Home in Edinburgh the other week and when I told the girl that Comets and (they looked like mollies but weren't, if you know what mean) shouldn't be in with 4" lionheads she replied they had been there for a few weeks despite the obvious stress caused by the constant nipping and chasing. Don't animal welfare check these places? Oops it turned out to be a bit of a rant there but I didn't know most of this stuff until I checked out this forum and I've had fish most of my life, does that say something about me, maybe it does, but I'm definately not alone.
GT
Squish Squish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Northumberland
  • Posted on: 29/1/2010 12:53
Re: Hello folks #12
You're definitely not alone GT, most of us have been there at some point. The main thing is you're addressing it now.

You need to get your ammonia to 0 as this is toxic to the fish. I would do a large water change with temperature matched, dechlorinated water and then test again. Also test your tap water, just in case. What type of filter do you have? Sorry if you've already answered that. It sounds like you need to cycle your filter. There's lots of information on the nitrogen cycle around.

It would be great if you could get that pond built and keep your single tails in it. I had to rehome my shub last year as after a shaky start to life in a tiny tank he just grew and grew when I got a 4 foot tank. I miss him but it was the best thing for him.

Lisa
Miss Pennyapple Miss Pennyapple
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 29/1/2010 19:26
Re: Hello folks #13
With that tap water results for PH (which is preferred by goldies) and difference in your tank, something is happening in there to bring that down so low. What do you have in the tank decor-wise? What kind of gravel? How often do you do a water change?

Were those last test results for your tap water? It has ammonia in it?

Yes, rehoming the algae eater is a very good idea. And in a tank that size that's overstocked, water changes every 2-3 days will be required really to keep the fish healthy until you can upgrade.

It's very annoying, and upsetting, when pet shops give out incorrect info all the time. Been there, got the wrong info, and had to find out for myself that I'd got wrong info! But I was able to upgrade and fix my fishy problems. Thank goodness! I try to keep away from places like Pets at Home now, as it just upsets me to see their tanks - most of the time they are being treated for whitespot it seems!!
165L AquaOne - 1 Blackmoor, 1 red telescope fantail, 1 white telescope, 1 panda moor

Tank upgrade on its way!
Bead Bead
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 30/1/2010 8:48
Re: Hello folks #14
Just wanted to say hi,
I was at pets at home yesterday, was disappointed in their tanks alot of their fishes didn't look to good. It makes me wanna buy them all (if only I had the space)....
Now if I am given so called good advice and I know its incorrect I have to say something... haha I wonder how long it will be before the shop assistants start trying to avoid me
The proud owner of a 350 litre tank as a home for my 6 fancy goldies.... Dumbledore, Dylan, Noggin, Ben, Bubo and little Nanny (name change when her personality comes out).